Get Help

MIFI Mobile Data

Started by: robink
On: 22/10/2011 | 11:03
Replies: 21

by: robink
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:03

I have just bought an Asus Eee Pad Transformer ( Android)  and would like to be truly mobile. It has no 3 G but if I buy a MIFI device I could use the WIFI connectivity.  I would not anticipate using more than 1GB a month and this mainly  in the summer when sailing.

What is the most suitable package for me?

Will it work?.

Can I use it abroad?

Any suggestions on a good, well priced device. 

 Many thanks Rob.

Message 1 of 22
by: antraf1982
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:04 edited: 22/10/2011 | 11:05

Unfortunately anything like that would be considered tethering so you would have to use a limited gigabag with any giffgaff sim.


500MB £5

1GB £7.50

3GB £12.50


An O2 device is best as you won't need to unlock it, anything else might require an unlock.  You will need a way to get into the devices settings to change the APN to giffgaff.


You can use it abroad but you will be international roaming data rates which are very expensive.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 22
by: thesaint
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:06
The igb at £7-50
Message 3 of 22
by: robink
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:10
Thanks for that, am I right that the gigabag would last 1 month?
Message 4 of 22
by: mazzzza1962
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:14

Yes indeed! 1 month.


Will not work abroad though.

Message 5 of 22
by: rihaz
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:15

thats called tethering and ur unable to do that on giffgaff

Smiley Happy If my post was helpful, please give my kudos by pressing the yellow/gold button on the left. Thanks.
Message 6 of 22
by: antraf1982
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:19

rihaz wrote:

thats called tethering and ur unable to do that on giffgaff

WRONG.  Read this:

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 22
by: majorzombie
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:20
You can tether with a gigabag! That's what they are for. You Will need a New Sim as goodybags and gigabags need to be on different Sims. Anyone that says you can't tether is wrong.
Message 8 of 22
by: skmidlands
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:21
rihaz stop giving wrong information out.....
Message 9 of 22
by: greenman
on: 22/10/2011 | 11:23

You need to get yourself a USB dongle, but if wanting to use it abroad then it needs to be unlocked. You can then buy a data card in the country you're in.

I have an O2 dongle that was unlocked, but dongles, like phones, can be unlocked and usually free.


Have you sen this article on preparing your Transformer for using a USB dongle?

Message 10 of 22