Community

Mobile eating away through credit?

Started by: madzukun
On: 27/02/2014 | 08:31
Replies: 18

Go to best answer
by: madzukun
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:31

I've just got a new Motorola Moto G half way through my Goodybag (Expires 7th March). I topped my phone up with £20 worth of credit but because of mobile data, it has eaten away through £19 of it in less than a day? I thought it was capped at 20p a day? How does it all work, as I cant believe i've just paid almost £20 for less than 24 hours worth of internet.

Message 1 of 19
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: faizan001
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:33
hi

• Using smart phone application left open at the back or update after regular interval also consume data or credit at the back end.
• Credit can be used up very quickly, for example if you use -
• 50MB = £6.20
• 100MB = £16.20
• 150MB = £26.20
• 200MB = £36.20
To find out for certain what your credit has been used for please contact a agent who can take a closer look at your account, here's a link - http://bit.ly/giffgaffagent
A agent will reply within 24 hours.

Message 2 of 19
by: faizan001
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:33
hi

• Using smart phone application left open at the back or update after regular interval also consume data or credit at the back end.
• Credit can be used up very quickly, for example if you use -
• 50MB = £6.20
• 100MB = £16.20
• 150MB = £26.20
• 200MB = £36.20
To find out for certain what your credit has been used for please contact a agent who can take a closer look at your account, here's a link - http://bit.ly/giffgaffagent
A agent will reply within 24 hours.

Message 2 of 19
by: dalan
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:34
Morning,
If you've used up your data allowance before your goodybag or gigabag expires, GG will send a notification to your phone to let you know. You will need to top up your credit in your account to carry on using data, if you have, then you will be charged at 2p/MB for the life of your goodybag, but once your goodybag expires, standard payg rates will apply if you don't buy a new one.

Payg rates
Mobile Internet:
Mobile Internet is charged at 20p a day (up to 20MB).If you use between 1MB and 20MB you will only be charged 20p/day. If you go over 20MB you'll be charged extra at 20 per MB.

If you text the word "plan" to 43430, you will get a text back from giffgaff on your usage for the last 30 days.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 19
by: mijthebarber
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:35
Wow that's harsh , you should keep on eye on open apps as these can be lethal if you don't have unlimited internet , again contact an agent if yiu really want to know how it was spent
, here's a link - http://bit.ly/giffgaffagent
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 19
by: fransoz
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:37
If you goody bag is still active , how much usage do you have left on it as this should cover your internet usage and calls , once the usage it's used then it will start using your credit you have
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 19
by: giffgaff_vinnie
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:40
All the above is correct. I would add tha you should turn off your data when not using as those apps can really eat it up n the background.
It seems you use a lot, I would for your next goodybag get a unlimited data one as they are really cheap and would save you lots of cash.
Get a free giffgaff Sim

If at first you don't succeed, blame the Dog.
Message 6 of 19
by: raypops
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:41

I think background data could be the culprit here, suggest you contact an agent as soon as possible and explain the situation......https://giffgaff.com/support/ask

(Please Feel Free To Click On The Link Below To Obtain Your FREE Sim) Regards Ray
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 19
by: navvy
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:43
Which goodybag did you buy? While you have an active goodybag, if it runs out of data you will be charged at the discount rate of 2p/MB but it will go up to 20p/MB as soon as the goodybag expires.

The 20p cap is only without a goodybag, and it is not a cap. 20p is all you pay for the first 20MB but the 21st MB costs another 20p and it gets very expensive very rapidly. £200/GB.

Turn off background updates and anything that is using unnecessary data.
Message 8 of 19
by: nad786hussain
on: 27/02/2014 | 08:45
You need to be sure if there's no background applications running, that are eating your credits or data, if not you would need to contact agents: http://bit.ly/giffgaffagent
Message 9 of 19
by: roypaleface
on: 27/02/2014 | 09:04

Hi, madzukun 

sorry your initial experience with giffgaff hasn't been what you expected.

Just a word of advice regarding smartphones; in my opinion, you should only use "unlimited data goodybags" ie; £12 and upwards, and always buy one a few days before your current one expires - known as "deferring a goodybag".

This will ensure that this problem will not happen again.

Unfortunately most smartphones are so "data hungry" - and paygo data rates very expensive - credit doesn't last very long at all, most networks have similar pricing policies.

Message 10 of 19