Community

Mobile number spoofing

Started by: andrewprice90
On: 12/02/2019 | 11:33
Replies: 6

Go to best answer
by: andrewprice90
on: 12/02/2019 | 11:33

I have been receiving lots of calls from random people saying they had a missed call from my number. At first I thought I must have pocket dialled but checking my phone log I have not called these people! Some say the caller was silent and others that there was some low level background noise but no conversation. I think someone has spoofed my number, they have somehow changed their caller ID so when they make calls it appears like my number! I can’t see the purpose as when the random targets pick up they don’t say anything!

Does anyone know how to stop this happening? So far I have had 8 ‘ghost returned’ calls over two days and fear this is going to get worse. I have advised people who call me to block my number to stop it happening to them again but numbers seem to be landlines rather than mobiles. I guess I could change my number but use this number for my business so don’t want to go through huge hassle, any suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: nigelbrooks
on: 12/02/2019 | 20:10

@andrewprice90

It's a total PITA and there is absolutely nothing that you can do save for changing your number.

The spoofers/scammers pick a random mobile number and use it as part of their nefarious activities.

Most are based abroad or (for some inexplicable reason) in Manchester and use the spoofed numbers for 'accident' or 'loan consolidation' calls.

The call volumes will die down as they tend to routinely change the number. Hang in there.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 7 of 7
by: tonicurtis1967
on: 12/02/2019 | 18:30
I downloaded truecaller that ids spam calls etc so then i just leave it to ring
Message 2 of 7
by: gvmhb
on: 12/02/2019 | 18:48
I'm afraid it's probably ramdom phone number spoofing.
There is a lot on the Internet about it, and I don't think there's much you can do except change your number if it keeps happening.

Here's just one example.
https://amp-abc-net-au.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/9719820?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&u...
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 7
by: allan1954
on: 12/02/2019 | 18:53
@andrewprice90 giffgaff/o2 uses recycled sim cards and I think this is what has happened to you.the only fix would be a number change but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 7
on: 12/02/2019 | 19:51
I transferred my number from Vodafone and have had used this number for over 10 years, so don’t think this could be the issues here!
Message 5 of 7
on: 12/02/2019 | 19:52
Thanks, I was hoping for another solution as I use this number for business!
Message 6 of 7
by: nigelbrooks
on: 12/02/2019 | 20:10

@andrewprice90

It's a total PITA and there is absolutely nothing that you can do save for changing your number.

The spoofers/scammers pick a random mobile number and use it as part of their nefarious activities.

Most are based abroad or (for some inexplicable reason) in Manchester and use the spoofed numbers for 'accident' or 'loan consolidation' calls.

The call volumes will die down as they tend to routinely change the number. Hang in there.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 7 of 7