Knowledge Base
Community

Money has been stopped from my credit from a company who said i have subscribed to footy tipsters .

Started by: pete1949
On: 04/04/2018 | 11:17
Replies: 4

Go to best answer
by: pete1949
on: 04/04/2018 | 11:17

A company called footy tipsters .com sent me a text message saying i have subscribed to them for

£3-00 per week.  I have never heard of them and did not subscribe and thought it was a scam.  they

have now taken £3-00 from my phone credit and I need to block them.  I have text un-subscribe to 

them, which I was reluctant to do, in case it was a scam.

Message 1 of 5
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: muggles708
on: 04/04/2018 | 15:57

pete1949 wrote:

A company called footy tipsters .com sent me a text message saying i have subscribed to them for

£3-00 per week.  I have never heard of them and did not subscribe and thought it was a scam.  they

have now taken £3-00 from my phone credit and I need to block them.  I have text un-subscribe to 

I'm afraid you've been the victim of a Payforit scam.

You need to be aware that while you are connected to the internet via mobile data, your number may be passed by GiffGaff to third parties for charging purposes. The mechanism by which this happens is called 'Payforit'.  This can’t happen while you are connected by WiFi. Once the third party has your number they can send you chargeable text messages and, very unfairly in my opinion, it will be your job to argue for a refund!

The Payforit mechanism was intended to make it easy for consumers to purchase goods and services and have them charged to their 'phone bill. Unfortunately Payforit has proven to be very insecure and hardly a day goes by without someone reporting another scam on here.

I have put details of how to deal with these scams on my website at http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Unfortunately GiffGaff and all of the other networks have no incentive to bring these scams to an end, as they receive a share of the income from them. Most of the other networks (apart from O2 and Three) can put a 'charge to bill' bar on your account to stop these third party charges. GiffGaff can't (or won't?) even do this.

If you want protection from these scams you will need to move your number to another provider which can offer a ‘charge to bill’ bar.

If it helps, I’ve been told that GiffGaff will refund your airtime credit in these circumstances, leaving nothing for the scammers to take. If a Goodybag usually meets your needs then this is a good temporary option.The steps you ought to be taking are (with links to detailed instructions):

1. Stop further charges being made

2. Get a refund of any charges already taken

3. Complain to the Phone-paid Services Authority

4. Protect yourself from further 'charge to bill' scams

Let me know if can offer any further help or advice. These scams are a disgrace to the mobile communications industry.

Paul

payforitsucks.co.uk

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 5 of 5
by: madscouser69
on: 04/04/2018 | 11:22
@pete1949 Hi there, I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with one of these numbers, unfortunately a lot of people subscribe to these without realising

There's a way of finding out if your number is currently subscribed to one of the well known companies

on this link
http://mobilepaymentsupport.com

Input your number and click "send pin"

You'll receive a 4 digit in by text
Submit that back on the page
And you'll see details of the service you're currently subscribed to including the 5 digit number to text STOP to and the customer service number
gg_256_zpsdigisawd.gif
Message 2 of 5
by: gvmhb
on: 04/04/2018 | 11:28
It's very easy to fall foul of these crooks.
They are legally supposed to have a proper agreement from you before they take your money, but in practice they don't.
If you accidentally touch the wrong spot on a dodgy ad you can get signed up without realising it. Happened to me once. Very angry.
Hopefully if you've texted STOP you won't get any more Smiley Mad
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 5
by: hotsteel
on: 04/04/2018 | 11:32
omg that’s mad and shouldn’t be aloud
Get a free giffgaff Simhere sat in front of my aging laptop
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
by: muggles708
on: 04/04/2018 | 15:57

pete1949 wrote:

I'm afraid you've been the victim of a Payforit scam.

You need to be aware that while you are connected to the internet via mobile data, your number may be passed by GiffGaff to third parties for charging purposes. The mechanism by which this happens is called 'Payforit'.  This can’t happen while you are connected by WiFi. Once the third party has your number they can send you chargeable text messages and, very unfairly in my opinion, it will be your job to argue for a refund!

The Payforit mechanism was intended to make it easy for consumers to purchase goods and services and have them charged to their 'phone bill. Unfortunately Payforit has proven to be very insecure and hardly a day goes by without someone reporting another scam on here.

I have put details of how to deal with these scams on my website at http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Unfortunately GiffGaff and all of the other networks have no incentive to bring these scams to an end, as they receive a share of the income from them. Most of the other networks (apart from O2 and Three) can put a 'charge to bill' bar on your account to stop these third party charges. GiffGaff can't (or won't?) even do this.

If you want protection from these scams you will need to move your number to another provider which can offer a ‘charge to bill’ bar.

If it helps, I’ve been told that GiffGaff will refund your airtime credit in these circumstances, leaving nothing for the scammers to take. If a Goodybag usually meets your needs then this is a good temporary option.The steps you ought to be taking are (with links to detailed instructions):

1. Stop further charges being made

2. Get a refund of any charges already taken

3. Complain to the Phone-paid Services Authority

4. Protect yourself from further 'charge to bill' scams

Let me know if can offer any further help or advice. These scams are a disgrace to the mobile communications industry.

Paul

payforitsucks.co.uk

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 5 of 5