Knowledge Base
Community

No network signal. I THINK I've tried everything. HAYALP!!

Started by: willyrose
On: 01/04/2019 | 20:20
Replies: 11

Go to best answer
by: willyrose
on: 01/04/2019 | 20:20

Tried to make a call this morning. No bars, so I used the home phone. Gave mobi number for return call, expecting a quick response.

Sony Xperia XA1 phone is 13 months old.

I tried airplane mode on and off. No bars.

Powered the phone off and back on. No bars.

Powered off. Left it for 10 minutes. Powered on. No bars.

Reset Network Settings. No bars.

Power off and on. No bars.

You get the picture?

Check the backup is in place.

Factory Reset.

Power on again. Still no bars.

Swap GiffGaff SIMs between phone and Samsung tablet.

1-2 bars on both devices.

Make a call from phone. Works perfectly.

Tried making a call from Tablet (with phone's SIM) "Not registered" mesage. Is this the SIM not registered with GaffGaff or the Tablet not registered for the SIM? Or something else.

Swap SIMs back so Tablet and Phone have their own SIMs.

Bars on Tablet.

No bars on phone.

Is there anything I haven't tried that might help?

Please advise.

Many thanks,

Clive

Message 1 of 12
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: bernienatch
on: 01/04/2019 | 22:34
Bear in mind that there's been recently a couple of posts about "other people hacking your number and doing a SIM swap". Perhaps you should contact an Agent and ask them to check your SIM account. .....
Message 7 of 12
on: 01/04/2019 | 20:22

PS. I've had this number for years; and with GiffGaff, for 5 years.

Message 2 of 12
by: andrewbergstrom
on: 01/04/2019 | 20:22
Good Evening @willyrose

Have you checked for any network issues in that area here https://giffgaff.com/coverage-and-service
Message 3 of 12
on: 01/04/2019 | 20:28
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I checked first thing this morning, when the problem first cropped up. Full coverage then and now.
If there was a problem, the GiffGaff SIM from the Tablet wouldn't have worked in the phone.

BTW - I've tried turning Mobile Data off and on a few times through the day, too, just to mix things up a bit.
Message 4 of 12
by: mangowalk
on: 01/04/2019 | 20:46
So can you clarify the current situation please? Are you all sorted now?
Message 5 of 12
on: 01/04/2019 | 22:26
No change.
No signal, indoors or outside.
Network working fine.
GiffGaff working fine on tablet.
It's a if this SIM has suddenly stopped working.
Is that possible?
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
by: bernienatch
on: 01/04/2019 | 22:34
Bear in mind that there's been recently a couple of posts about "other people hacking your number and doing a SIM swap". Perhaps you should contact an Agent and ask them to check your SIM account. .....
Message 7 of 12
by: ipadwilly
on: 01/04/2019 | 22:56
Now I'm really worried!
I've asked any agent...
Message 8 of 12
by: ipadwilly
on: 01/04/2019 | 23:16
BTW this is my (WillyRose - same guy) tablet profile...
Message 9 of 12
on: 03/04/2019 | 08:47
You really put the frighteners on me, Bernie - I'd never considered SIM hack was a Thing!
But importantly you also suggested contacting an Agent which, again, I had not considered. I've been on GiffGaff for 5 years but am still a relative newbie when it comes to interacting. This is a good thing, though - it shows I've had a trouble-free experience so far.
My Agent interaction wasn't great. They hadn't read this conversation and suggested I do all the same things I'd already tried.
The problem was resolved by a trip to Tesco for a 99p (skip the top-up) GiffGaff SIM and a SIM-swap that took about an hour to complete.
I've also ordered a couple of spare SIMs (one each for my wife and I) to keep at hand in case either of us has problems in the near future.
Still no indication of what might have caused my original SIM to stop working, though. That might remain a mystery.
Message 10 of 12