'No service' abroad

Started by: skjulmeg
On: 09/12/2010 | 16:35
Replies: 10

Go to best answer
by: skjulmeg
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:35

Hi,

I am currently abroad and I'm getting no service on my phone. This might have been the case my entire stay here, although I'm not 100% sure. I did notice it this morning, and arrived last night (I carry another phone as well). My timezone settings have updated, so some information is being sent through the network.

Do I need to change anything in particular in order to get service abroad? As I travel abroad frequently, getting this to work is quite paramount.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: rachel01
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:38

Try taking your sim out then put it back in, this worked for someone else the other day.

Rach

Click my yellow star on the left if I helped.
Message 4 of 11
by: lordofangels
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:37

Just make sure the allow roaming setting is set to on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Click "Accept Solution" if this answered your question.

If you'd like a SIM please click below.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 11
by: darrenpainter
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:38 edited: 09/12/2010 | 16:39

Sims are enabled for international roaming by default, however to make calls abroad you must have sufficient airtime credit on your account, as goodybags are only for UK usage

If your sim is not actually locking onto a local network, then as mentioned it could be that your phone has a setting to prevent it roaming.

Also is your phone tri or quad band and able to be used internationally

Message 3 of 11
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:38

Try taking your sim out then put it back in, this worked for someone else the other day.

Rach

Message 4 of 11
by: rayhoo
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:38 edited: 09/12/2010 | 16:40

@skjulmeg wrote:

Hi,

I am currently abroad and I'm getting no service on my phone. This might have been the case my entire stay here, although I'm not 100% sure. I did notice it this morning, and arrived last night (I carry another phone as well). My timezone settings have updated, so some information is being sent through the network.

Do I need to change anything in particular in order to get service abroad? As I travel abroad frequently, getting this to work is quite paramount.

Thanks.

Do you have available credit?  Did you check with an agent before going abroad if you had any bar on your sim?

Message 5 of 11
by: emallett
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:40

Hi skjulmeg

I have checked the account and can confirm that there is no roaming bar in place. 

Sorry for any inconvenience

Kind Regards

Emmett Mallett
Handy giff-staffer

If you've asked a question, mark the best answer as 'Accepted solution'. This lets everyone know you're sorted - It also gives kudos to the giffgaffer who helped you. Nice!
Message 6 of 11
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:43
Thanks! Removing the sim worked. Any thoughts on why this is needed? I have an iPhone 4, and removing the sim is not straighforward (by happenchance I had the sim-removal tool with me, which i will not 99% of the time).
Message 7 of 11
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:44

It makes it search for a signal.  the wonders of technology!Smiley Very Happy

Rach

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
by: rayhoo
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:45

@skjulmeg wrote:
Thanks! Removing the sim worked. Any thoughts on why this is needed? I have an iPhone 4, and removing the sim is not straighforward (by happenchance I had the sim-removal tool with me, which i will not 99% of the time).

Removing the sim enables a new search for the best available signal.

Message 9 of 11
on: 09/12/2010 | 16:46
I forced it to search for a signal by setting it in flight mode, turning off 3G etc. I'll keep an eye out to see if this happens again.
Message 10 of 11