No service after roaming

Started by: johnmos1996
On: 17/02/2019 | 12:14
Replies: 12

Go to best answer
by: johnmos1996
on: 17/02/2019 | 12:14

Hi there, 

I have been in Greece for a while without using my giffgaff number. I have been informed by mail that my roaming switched off until I go back to UK. Now, I'm in UK but still, I don't get any service. 

Thank you in advance 

Message 1 of 13
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: sheppola
on: 17/02/2019 | 14:43 edited: 18/02/2019 | 12:32

@johnmos1996

@johnmos1996 wrote:

It's definitely the giffgaff sim I have checked it twice. The giffgaff is shown in the list, check the 7th message for more details

I'd get another blank Sim and do a Sim-Swap.This has happened before when people come back from the EU.I suspect the Sim-card was weak or poor Quality Control.

I'm too impatient to wait for a free Sim so..

buy one for less than a pound at B&M/Poundshop/Tesco/Argos/Iceland and even my Corner shop sells them now and do a,"Sim Swap".Do NOT activate the New Sim e.g put any money on it is as a Blank unused Sim is needed for a Sim swap and the Sim-Swap process will activate the new Sim.

A lot of these shops are open Sundays until 4pm and 8pm weekdays.

GiffGaffSim.jpg

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/What-is-SIM-Swap/ta-p/7320084

and here's an easy to follow video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1QoXIl6xEM

you can only do a SIM swap between 4.30am and 9.30pm and it can be like when you first join GiffGaff e.g shut the phone down for a few mins and or keep restarting the phone over a few hours after the Sim Swap.

This will transfer your number and allowances across.

HTH Smiley Happy

If this post helped please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 11 of 13
by: natty88
on: 17/02/2019 | 12:16

' @johnmos1996 try switching on and of your airplane flight mode a few times to refresh network again and see if connects then 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 13
by: figment_uk
on: 17/02/2019 | 12:16

@johnmos1996

Is your phone showing "giffgaff" but you cannot call or text, or does it say "No service"?

Have you restarted your phone sincde returning to the UK?

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 3 of 13
by: rqt
on: 17/02/2019 | 12:18

Is it more than 6 months since you last used your giffgaff SIM? (if so it is probably deactivated & the number lost)

Message 4 of 13
on: 17/02/2019 | 12:30

First of all thanks for the quick response!

Usually I restart my phone and everything works. I have been in Greece for 3-4 months I think. I go to settings/more/mobile networks/network operators 

It starts searching, I see the "O2-UK" which is listed with a "home" icon but when I try to register on the network it says "could not connect to the selected network. Make sure that the sim card is inserted or the selected network is available" and after that is doing automatic registration at Vodafone - UK 

Message 5 of 13
by: natty88
on: 17/02/2019 | 12:42

@johnmos1996 try taking SIM out gently wipe it blow in SIM slot and replace SIM again or try a soft reset by holding down the power button and up and down volume button at same time until phone reboots its self and see if works then if you look here does any number show http://giffgaff.com/dashboard/

If sim has not been used to send at least one charged text in last 6months it may be deactivated as shown here 

number recycling on giffgaff

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Recycling-mobile-numbers-giffgaff/ba-p/8211666

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 13
by: sheppola
on: 17/02/2019 | 12:53

@johnmos1996

@johnmos1996 wrote:

Usually I restart my phone and everything works. I have been in Greece for 3-4 months I think. I go to settings/more/mobile networks/network operators 

It starts searching, I see the "O2-UK" which is listed with a "home" icon but when I try to register on the network it says "could not connect to the selected network. Make sure that the sim card is inserted or the selected network is available" and after that is doing automatic registration at Vodafone - UK 

What phone do you have?

If this post helped please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 7 of 13
on: 17/02/2019 | 13:56

I have tried in 2 different phones. Sony M4 and Z5 both of them read the sim card but it appears I don't have signal. Although the roaming of my Greek number works in UK but not the O2

Message 8 of 13
by: figment_uk
on: 17/02/2019 | 13:59

@johnmos1996

@johnmos1996 wrote:

Isn't 'giffgaff' shown in the list of networks? 

and you've definitely got the giffgaff SIM inserted? 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 9 of 13
on: 17/02/2019 | 14:01
It's definitely the giffgaff sim I have checked it twice. The giffgaff is shown in the list, check the 7th message for more details
Message 10 of 13