Knowledge Base
Community

No service

Started by: fufluns
On: 15/05/2019 | 10:01
Replies: 14

by: fufluns
on: 15/05/2019 | 10:01

I was with Orange/EE and decided to move to giffgaff on 10th May. A friend who is on giffgaff had a free sim (I am telling you this in case this is the problem, but hopefully not!).

I did everything I was asked, PAC number etc I chose my bundle and filled in the online form for change of number (ie I wanted to keep my previous mobile number).

I received all the online confirmations from giffgaff and "welcome to giffgaff". And that my payment would start from that day, 10th May.

Then I got a message saying number transfer would be active from 14th May.  

All this time I had no network at all, but I wasn't worried because I thought it would all happen on 14th.  Nothing happened. I tried switching my mobile on and off at least 8 times during the day. At one point it said it woud reboot in safe mode. I said yes because there was no other way of turning the power off except to say yes, but it did say it would go back to normal as soon as I switched on again. And in fact all looks normal EXCEPT that today 15th MAY (5 days after I joined and paid!!) I still have no giffgaff network.  

I tried giffgaff support site but the choices are not exactly my problem. However I chose the closest which was transfer of number. I got a reply confirming that my number has been transferred. But I don't know how to solve the problem of no giffgaff network!  (I tried ringing my number from a landline and it goes through to the voicemail  "welcome to giffgaff" but this is probably only because my sim is giffgaff? My phone says I have no network. I cannot send texts or do anything except via WhatsApp. This is urgent now so I will be so very grateful if someone can reply.

Many thanks,

Fufluns

Message 1 of 15
by: giffgaff20147
on: 15/05/2019 | 10:11

@fufluns 

Hello is your phone unlocked or locked to o2 if not it won’t work till you get it unlocked ,

bit confused you say what’s app work is that on another device 

was there any message on screen when you put sim in 

can you dial 43430 if so what does it say 

Message 2 of 15
on: 15/05/2019 | 10:16 edited: 15/05/2019 | 10:31

@fufluns 

When you activated sim your sim should have worked straight away but with a temporary giffgaff number 

you would only lose service on day of transfer which suggests phone is not unlocked     sorry about line through reply it’s problem with my phone

Message 3 of 15
by: eddiehk6
on: 15/05/2019 | 10:21
hi @fufluns

Can you please test the giffgaff SIM in another unlocked phone?

Does it pick up signal bars and work for basic calls / texts? If so, then the SIM is active and working.

Also test different SIMs in your phone phone for completeness.

Please remember to select a ___| Best Answer +★|___and give thanks to those who helped by clicking Kudos! Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 15
by: richard4u2
on: 15/05/2019 | 10:30
Hi fufluns, firstly welcome to the giffgaff network. If your phone is saying no network at the top this indicates that its a signal issue. The fact your call was going straight to voicemail also suggests this as when it cant connect it effectively switches to voicemail which used to be like calling a phone and it going to answerphone. There could be an issue with a phone mast in your local area so i would recommend that you do a signal check by going to google and typing in 02 signal checker and entering your postcode. As giffgaff piggyback off 02 phone masts to keep costs down it it does show any issues then its down to 02 to fix and giffgaff have no control over the repairs. Its annoying but unfortunately all you can do is wait as if you phone 02 they will say your a giffgaff customer and wont help you and if you contact giffgaff they will say that they are not responsible for any mast issues. I would suggest using wi fi as much as possible not only is it cheaper if your using whatsapp you can call and message for free as long as you are connected to the wi fi until the mast issue is sorted, kind regards.
Message 5 of 15
on: 15/05/2019 | 10:36

@fufluns  

To follow on from richard4u2 

you can check mast here 

put postcode here check for mast problems https://giffgaff.com/coverage-and-service#coverage

Message 6 of 15
on: 15/05/2019 | 14:01
Hello, thank so much everyone for your advice.
I was with orange. Not sure if my phone is unlocked or locked, but giffgaff confirms I have the account and my bundle.
WhatsApp is working on the same mobile phone but only with the wifi in the house.
Can't remember if there was a message on screen when I put the sim in.
I dialed 43430 and it just came up with No Network, which I knew already (:
I will try my sim in a friend's phone. She has giffgaff and gave me the free spare sim she had. Do you think that is the trouble? That it only would work with her? She had never used it. I received a spare in the post today. Should I try that or would I need to reregister with giffgaff with new details if I do?
Thanks!!
Message 7 of 15
on: 15/05/2019 | 14:04
Hi Richard
Thanks so much for your advice. I tested the coverage and it is fine in my area. I have a 3g Motorola mobile phone.
I am amazed at how many helpful replies I have had. Is there a way of thanking all at once or should I just thank each?
Message 8 of 15
on: 15/05/2019 | 14:07

@fuflunswrote:

Hello, thank so much everyone for your advice.
I was with orange. Not sure if my phone is unlocked or locked, but giffgaff confirms I have the account and my bundle.
WhatsApp is working on the same mobile phone but only with the wifi in the house.
Can't remember if there was a message on screen when I put the sim in.
I dialed 43430 and it just came up with No Network, which I knew already (:
I will try my sim in a friend's phone. She has giffgaff and gave me the free spare sim she had. Do you think that is the trouble? That it only would work with her? She had never used it. I received a spare in the post today. Should I try that or would I need to reregister with giffgaff with new details if I do?
Thanks!!

Hello again @fufluns  from what you are saying that phone has never had giffgaff service or signal I first would try sim in another phone if it’s sand then with spare sim do a sim swop 

The SIM swap will transfer your mobile number and any active goodybag and/or airtime credit over to the new SIM. You will notice the start of the process when you lose mobile service. The process ought to take no more than 30 minutes however, during busy periods can take up to 24 hours to complete. The SIM Swap can be performed anytime between 4.30am and 9.30pm.

I suggest through the process you turn your phone off and on again periodically.

Follow this http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/What-is-SIM-Swap/ta-p/7320084 fantastic knowledge base guide on performing the SIM Swap or you can follow this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1QoXIl6xEM video demo.

Message 9 of 15
by: eddiehk6
on: 15/05/2019 | 14:08
hi again @fufluns

Focus on getting signal with your current activated giffgaff SIM card first. Ignore the spare SIM card for now.

Was the giffgaff SIM working before the number transfer?

Can you perform a manual network search from the Motorola, can you force a connection to O2 or giffgaff?

If that does not work, please test the SIM in another unlocked phone and report back before you do anything else.

Please remember to select a ___| Best Answer +★|___and give thanks to those who helped by clicking Kudos! Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 15