Community

Number transfer message

Started by: michaeljhenderson
On: 15/03/2019 | 19:33
Replies: 7

Go to best answer
by: michaeljhenderson
on: 15/03/2019 | 19:33 edited: 15/03/2019 | 20:27

Received text saying number change underway but have not requested this. Is this a hoax. It gives you link to click to stop immediately but it doesn't look right. ** Edited by Educator. Can someone please help as I don't want my number changed thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: tazzy19
on: 15/03/2019 | 19:35

@michaeljhenderson 

This is a scam text designed to get your details for fraudulent use
It may appear to be from giffgaff, however the link takes you to a cloned/fake giffgaff log-in page

If you've entered any details follow the steps below

@report_phishing

Message 2 of 8

@michaeljhenderson 

This is a scam text designed to get your details for fraudulent use
It may appear to be from giffgaff, however the link takes you to a cloned/fake giffgaff log-in page

If you've entered any details follow the steps below

@report_phishing

Message 2 of 8
by: smithster225225
@michaeljhenderson

Its a scam

Please do not reply to the text.

Its called 'smishing'

thanks
Don't forget to AWARD BEST ANSWER Or give Kudos to members that helped!
Message 3 of 8
on: 15/03/2019 | 19:46
Thanks. I opened link but did not enter any details as it didn't look quite right.
Message 4 of 8
on: 15/03/2019 | 19:50
Didn't reply to text but opened link. However didn't put any information in as wasn't sure it was for real. Is this OK.
Message 5 of 8
by: figment_uk
on: 15/03/2019 | 19:52

@michaeljhenderson 

@michaeljhenderson wrote:

Didn't reply to text but opened link. However didn't put any information in as wasn't sure it was for real. Is this OK.

That should be fine, but as a precaution change your giffgaff password: https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#passwd

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 6 of 8
on: 15/03/2019 | 19:53

@michaeljhenderson 

If you clicked the link and arrived at the fake log in page, the scammers know that your number is a 'live' giffgaff number.

Do remain aware that you may get further attempts to scam you.

For reference, if giffgaff send a text with a shortened link it will always be a giff.ly link, never bit.ly, tinyurl 

NEVER log in via a link now matter who you believe it is from, always log in in your usual manner

Change your password regularly, my work requires a password change every 3 months 

Message 7 of 8
by: scousema
community giff-staffer

on: 16/03/2019 | 14:26

Hi @michaeljhenderson 

Sandy here from the giffgaff community team (giffgaff staff)  

Thanks for posting this on the community & well done for being so vigilant. This text is a smishing type text – it’s not been sent by giffgaff, these types of texts attempt to obtain your giffgaff login details. Well done for not  entering any details. Any genuine link sent by giffgaff will have a giff.ly type link contained within the text. 

As mentioned, If you know any member who has inserted any details into the website (from the link in the text) please raise an agent case so that our agents can assist  further with securing their account,  This can be done here:  

If you have clicked on the link it may also be a good idea (as a precaution) to change your giffgaff password, you can do this directly here:  

If you use your existing password on any non giffgaff related sites it may be wise to change them as well (like banks, internet providers etc) 

Please forward the text message you have received to 7726. You will not be charged for reporting smishing texts to 7726. 

I have sent you a Private message which can be read here: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage , If you can respond to it at your convenience that would be much appreciated. 

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Sandy & the giffgaff community team. 

giffgaff Educator

Message 8 of 8