Knowledge Base
Community

Off to Spain

Started by: dimitrazaz91
On: 10/07/2019 | 22:40
Replies: 7

by: dimitrazaz91
on: 10/07/2019 | 22:40

Hey! I'm going to Spain this week ! Does anybody know if I'll be able to use my internet data there? Thanx xxx

Message 1 of 8
by: williamwalker
on: 10/07/2019 | 22:43

Hi @dimitrazaz91 

Yes you will you will be able to use your goodybag there if you've had recerecent usage in the UK I leave all the details below.

When is it happening?

The changes will go live on Wednesday 14th June. Just in time for summer holidays.
Pooh nutty to

Do I need to do anything?

Providing you’ve shown signs of life in the UK recently, you’ll automatically be entitled to inclusive EU roaming with your goodybag. From 14th June you'll be able to check your status in your account settings, where there will also be advice about what to do if you experience any problems.

Does this include gigabags too?

Yes it does. You can use your full gigabag data allowance in the EU.

My next goodybag starts sometime after 14th June, does that matter?

No, the change is not tied into when goodybags start or expire. Providing you meet the basic eligibility checks, the inclusive roaming will kick in on 14th June no matter how far into your goodybag you are.

What if I don’t have a goodybag?

If you prefer to roll without a goodybag, then you can continue using our pay as you go rates while in the EU. The charges will be the same as they are in the UK.

Are there restrictions or fair use guidelines?

Including EU roaming at no extra cost is great news for members, and we’re excited about how it will make holidaying easier with giffgaff. However, we need to be mindful of the potential for abuse and have some checks in place to safeguard giffgaff and all our genuine members.

The inclusive EU roaming is intended for members who typically reside in the UK, but may go on trips to the EU from time to time. It is not intended for people to start using giffgaff in any other country, without ever planning on coming to the UK, simply because it beats their local rates. If people do end up doing that we'll have to put some restrictions in place for them.

Are there any extra charges?

Your goodybag will work in the EU like it does in the UK, with no additional charges apart from those on the £20 Always On goodybag, where after 6GB of data has been used, there will be a charge of £0.0078 per mb in the EU.

This charge allows us to provide the best roaming experience we can, without having to increase any of our goodybag prices. The charge is in place to protect giffgaff from potential abuse.

All the things normally included and not included in your goodybag will be the same wherever you are in the EU. The charges once you’ve used your allowance are the same, and you’ll still be able to start your next goodybag early if you wish.

What destinations are included?

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Vatican City

Are there any destinations changing from their current roaming zone?

From 14th June, Switzerland, Monaco, Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man will move to our “Rest of World” roaming zone, and charged £1/min to make and receive calls, 30p/text and 20p/mb. We'll be reaching out to the people who have been to these places recently, to let them know about the change in advance.

Any call or text from the EU to a country outside of the EU, will cost £1/min and 30p/text.

Message 2 of 8
by: bladerunner929
on: 10/07/2019 | 22:45

@dimitrazaz91 hi, yes the roam like home feature will work in Spain, just ensure you have roaming on in the phone settings and if you have difficulty connecting to a network then try a network search and go through the list of local networks until you find one that works best for you. 

Message 3 of 8
by: z201205
on: 10/07/2019 | 22:46
Your phone needs a giffgaff APN. If it doesn't create one with APN set to giffgaff.com, username giffgaff and no password. Save it and select it. Enable flight mode for 10 seconds and then disable it to get the phone to use the new settings. Enable mobile data roaming on your phone whilst abroad.
Message 4 of 8
by: macca28
on: 10/07/2019 | 22:54

@dimitrazaz91  Hi 

check it out here....... using your mobile abroad. https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Using-your-mobile-abroad/ta-p/3522931

"If you wish to be a success in the world, promise everything, deliver nothing."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 8
by: hdavey17
on: 11/07/2019 | 04:58

Lucky you @dimitrazaz91  ☀️

Your goodybag should confine to work as though you were in the uk. I’ve traveled to Spain several times since being with Giff Gaff and never experienced any issues at all. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 8
by: dimitrazaz91
on: 12/07/2019 | 07:56

thanks everyone for your responses!! you’ve been really helpful! now I’m ready to enjoy my trip!! adios!!! have a great summer!

Message 7 of 8