Only if you use the SIM more in Spain than you do within the UK.
There is still confusion with the June 2017 EU roaming directive
If you are roaming then virtually all calls between EU member states are included (but please see the notes below).
BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE UK
To set up EU Roaming.
Nice and easy, all that you need to do is enable roaming in your giffgaff profile, if it is not already enabled,
https://giffgaff.com/profile/details YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE UK.
Do ensure that you also have enabled data roaming and mobile data on your phone as well (easy to overlook).
Also ensure that you have enabled international calling here: https://giffgaff.com/call-services
If roaming will not turn on, please see the FAQ's here: https://giffgaff.com/roaming-charges
Please also see https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/International-and-Roaming/Using-a-goodybag-while-in-the-EU-%28... if you need to submit documents to giffgaff.
You also need to check your APN (internet) settings on your phone if you wish to use data while roaming, these should be:
password: [Leave blank]
Proxy: [Leave blank]
Restart your phone and you will be able to use your goodybag anywhere within the EU for calls texts and data with the same rates as you enjoy in the UK.
Once changed these settings will work in both the EU AND the UK.
USE IN THE UK
The EU regulation (it is not a directive, is not law and can, therefore, be revoked by the EU) ONLY applies to use of your SIM outside your home country it does not legislate for charges while using a UK SIM while in the UK
Please note that if travelling and if you have just joined giffgaff you will NOT get free EU goodybag roaming activated immediately as a pattern of usage or proof of stable links in the SIM issuing country needs to be established.
There is a way around this if you submit proof of UK residency first (and BEFORE you leave the UK) how to do this is described in the FAQs on this link.: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Using-your-mobile-abroad/ta-p/3522931
If you do not qualify then you will have to use airtime credit for all activity in the EU, you can buy this at www.giffgaff.com/buy/topup
1. The EU roaming regulation does NOT affect ANY activity while in the UK and using your 'home' network (giffgaff) as you are NOT roaming when in the UK and this will continue to be charged as normal (i.e. you will need airtime credit from www.giffgaff.com/buy/topup to make international calls / send texts).
2. The EU regulation does not apply to free giffgaff to giffgaff calls where the 'calling' phone needs to be in the UK; the regulation only applies to calls which are normally charged.
3. The EU regulation does not apply to use on-board cruise ships
4. The EU regulation states that it is designed for 'occasional' use and cites a maximum period of 60 days roaming use in any four-month period.
As stated above. you will get a maximum of 60 days inclusive roaming after which you will be on PAYG rates (although these actually reduce to 3.2p per minute 1p per text and 0.078p per MB data if you still have an active goodybag).
Good Afternoon @brysky . Thanks for your question about Giffgaff’s International Roaming arrangements. As long as you meet roaming criteria and you usually reside in the UK*, you can now Roam Like At Home in the EU and selected destinations. Giffgaff’s Goodybag Plans include data, minutes and texts to all the countries in the EU and selected destinations, so you can do all the things you would, at home, but without any extra cost in Spain. The same goes for our Pay as you go (Airtime Credit) prices as well.
Travelling outside the EU and selected destinations? Please top-up your account to keep using data, minutes and texts.
Please check your current Roaming status for EU and selected destinations, please click/tap here to view Roaming status. Please click/tap to view Fair Use While Roaming information (relates to roaming status).
* ROAMING CRITERIA: Inclusive roaming is created for giffgaff members who typically reside in the UK, and is ideal for short trips (60 days maximum within any 4 month period) to other places in the EU. To make things easy, we do a few quick checks for UK usage, just to make sure you meet the basic criteria, before automatically turning on EU roaming as part of your goodybag. Alternatively, you can submit proof of UK residency in other ways. Find out more
If you don’t meet the necessary criteria, or go against our Fair usage guidelines, then the inclusive roaming may be switched off. You’ll still be able to use your phone in the EU, but will be charged 3.2p/minute, 1p/text, 0.78p/MB via Airtime Credit Top-up (this is on top of your Goodybag Plan).
If you use Giffgaff’s services outside the UK in the EU and selected destinations for 60 or more days in any 4 month period this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of Giffgaff services.
Please click/tap onto the links below to view even more information about International Roaming on Giffgaff.