Community

Samsung phone network locked

Started by: snyeq06
On: 06/01/2019 | 22:09
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: snyeq06
on: 06/01/2019 | 22:09

I bought a samunsng galaxy j6 phone in the UK from carphone warehouse. I am now back in australia and I tried insterting an australian Sim card inside and my phone shows a message that says  "Invalid sim card. Network locked sim card inserted". It's also asking for a network unlock pin. How do i get a hold of that?

Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: carlryan
on: 07/01/2019 | 03:36 edited: 07/01/2019 | 03:39

giffgaff runs on the O2 network, so your phone will have locked to the O2 network. You may be able to get an unlock code from O2 free of charge.

Unlocking an O2 mobile to use on a different network

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-netwo...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 6
by: sammy103
on: 06/01/2019 | 22:12
@snyeq06 hi there - If your phone is asking for a SIM Network Locked PIN then your phone is locked. When you buy a phone from the Carphone warehouse it will get locked down to the first network SIM placed in the phone. You will need to contact the network the SIM is locked to and request to have it unlocked.
Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 2 of 6
on: 06/01/2019 | 22:18
I used giffgaff. That was the first network sim i placed in there. How do I get the unlock pin from you guys?
Message 3 of 6
on: 06/01/2019 | 22:28
please help. This phone is practically useless here otherwise and I spent quite a bit on it.
Message 4 of 6
by: random112
on: 07/01/2019 | 00:24
www.giffgaff.com/unlock

Hi, I'm really sorry but giffgaff will not unlock the phone as they don't lock phones or sell locked ones.
Some phones car phone warehouse sell are not really sim free, they are set to lock to the first network you use. Your stuck if that was giffgaff as they can't unlock it. You can try joining o2 and there's a chance they will do it when you have an o2 account, but your best way is to use an unofficial way such as a local market stall, independent phone shop that does it while you wait or even ebay.
This link has full details and some recommendations.

Carphonewarehouse should have made it very clear to you that you were not buying a sim free phone and that it would be locked to the first network used and only be able to be used with them.
Message 5 of 6
by: carlryan
on: 07/01/2019 | 03:36 edited: 07/01/2019 | 03:39

giffgaff runs on the O2 network, so your phone will have locked to the O2 network. You may be able to get an unlock code from O2 free of charge.

Unlocking an O2 mobile to use on a different network

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-netwo...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 6