Community

Scam Text - Balance decreasing

Started by: crispinhambidge
On: 27/03/2018 | 23:29
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: crispinhambidge
on: 27/03/2018 | 23:29 edited: 29/03/2018 | 08:11

HELP: "Could someone please advise...i opened up the guardian website. Was rwdirectwd automatically to a random website that wouldnt shut down. Then a series of text popped up on my phone. This is one of them....FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to Jam Jar Club for £4.50 every week from Jam Jar Mobile until you text STOP to 83463. HELP? 03300538741 ... sure enough, 4.50 has been stolen from my account. Any ideas what to do. Dont believe it would be a good idea to click on any of the help links in the text message. "

Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: endorphin
on: 28/03/2018 | 18:25

Hi @crispinhambidge it looks like you have somehow subscribed to a premium text service. You should text STOP to 83463 to unsubscribe, this text shouldn't cost more than 10p.

See here for more https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/What-to-do-if-you-receive-SPAM-text-messages/...

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 2 of 6
by: endorphin
on: 28/03/2018 | 18:25

Hi @crispinhambidge it looks like you have somehow subscribed to a premium text service. You should text STOP to 83463 to unsubscribe, this text shouldn't cost more than 10p.

See here for more https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/What-to-do-if-you-receive-SPAM-text-messages/...

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 2 of 6
by: sloz
on: 28/03/2018 | 18:27 edited: 28/03/2018 | 18:28

@crispinhambidge
Hi, text the word STOP to the 5 digit number
I would also call the 03 customer service number
Argue that you never knowingly subscribed to anything and ask for a refund
(most companies will agree to a full or partial refund if you specifically ask for one

Read the advice from this guide
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Premium-text-charges-do-s-And-don-t-s/td-p/18597940

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 6
by: figment_uk
on: 28/03/2018 | 18:28

@crispinhambidge

1. Text the word STOP to 83463 - it will cost 10p from credit.
  2. Call 03300538741 (will use goodybag minutes) and argue that you did not knowingly subscribe to their service, and ask for all charges to be cancelled and refunded.
I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 4 of 6
by: rhort
on: 29/03/2018 | 08:44
Unfortunately GiffGaff cannot block unsolicited premium texts, however, you can report them to the regulator at http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk

First you can input the short code number that is sending the texts into the number checker, which will give you the contact details for the company sending the texts.

You can then contact them and tell them they are sending you unsolicited texts and that you would like them to stop sending them and refund you for the unauthorised charges.

If they don't stop sending you texts, you can submit a complaint via the Phonepayplus website.
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: muggles708
on: 29/03/2018 | 11:11

crispinhambidge wrote:

HELP: "Could someone please advise...i opened up the guardian website. Was rwdirectwd automatically to a random website that wouldnt shut down. Then a series of text popped up on my phone. This is one of them....FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to Jam Jar Club for £4.50 every week from Jam Jar Mobile until you text STOP to 83463. HELP? 03300538741 ... sure enough, 4.50 has been stolen from my account. Any ideas what to do. Dont believe it would be a good idea to click on any of the help links in the text message. "

@crispinhambidge this is a Payforit scam. You will continue to have money taken from your account every until you take action to stop it and GiffGaff won't help you. Unbelievable! Yes. Outrageous! Yes.

Call 03300538741 and tell them that you never knowingly subscribed to their service, that you want the subscription stopped and that you want a refund of the money they have already taken.

You need to be aware that while you are connected to the internet via mobile data, your number may be passed by GiffGaff to third parties for charging purposes. The mechanism by which this happens is called 'Payforit'.  This can’t happen while you are connected by WiFi. Once the third party has your number they can send you chargeable text messages and, very unfairly in my opinion, it will be your job to argue for a refund!

The Payforit mechanism was intended to make it easy for consumers to purchase goods and services and have them charged to their 'phone bill. Unfortunately Payforit has proven to be very insecure and hardly a day goes by without someone reporting another scam on here.

I have put details of how to deal with these scams on my website at http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Unfortunately GiffGaff and all of the other networks have no incentive to bring these scams to an end, as they receive a share of the income from them. Most of the other networks (apart from O2) can put a 'charge to bill' bar on your account to stop these third party charges. GiffGaff can't (or won't?) even do this.

If you want protection from these scams you will need to move your number to another provider which can offer a ‘charge to bill’ bar.

If it helps, I’ve been told that GiffGaff will refund your airtime credit in these circumstances, leaving nothing for them to take. If a Goodybag usually meets your needs then this is a good temporary option.The steps you ought to be taking are (with links to detailed instructions):

1. Stop further charges being made

2. Get a refund of any charges already taken

3. Complain to the Phone-paid Services Authority

4. Protect yourself from further 'charge to bill' scams

Let me know if can offer any further help or advice. These scams are a disgrace to the mobile communications industry.

Paul

payforitsucks.co.uk

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 6 of 6