Knowledge Base
Community

Scam

Started by: stathis_ch
On: 23/05/2018 | 13:34
Replies: 20

by: laura48211
on: 27/12/2018 | 11:28
@stathis-ch this is all i have been seeing in the forum lately these scammers will stop at nothing stealing credit its disgusting stealing hard earned money from customers, hopefully you will get it back if you follow the good advice given by the community members
Message 11 of 21
by: jaymailsays
on: 27/12/2018 | 11:38

@celinego Blocking a number will not in itself stop your son being charged weekly. Only by contacting the Merchant, record the conversation,  will the account stand a chance of being taken off their list of subscribers.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 21
by: celinego
on: 27/12/2018 | 16:17
Thanks sloz - this reassures me that the PO will know what to do.
Message 13 of 21
on: 27/12/2018 | 16:25
Thanks jaymallsays .... I've already contacted one and the refund process has been started. The second one though I had to email and they said they themselves don't make the charge, they merely pass along texts to providers!! And GPDR means they can't tell me who the company who charged him is. I've replied saying it's the fact they pass them along and providers can't currently NOT also pass to the number it's intended for and it's at the point of receiving the text he was charged, so, they ARE responsible for him being charged if not making the charge themselves. I think they're stalling cos they also asked me for his phone number, date and time of text ext .... all of which I'd already provided in my email to them!! Don't worry .... I'm like a dog with a bone, especially where my son is concerned so have no intention of letting them get away with this.

Also, when he texted STOP to the one who's started the refund process, he did also immediately get a text confirming he was unsubscribed so we'll keep that.

I also learned from giffgaff that if you have no airtime credit, these premium rate companies can't charge you as they can only do so from your credit balance, nothing else. I have now cancelled all of our recurring goodybags from my credit card and instead, purchased queued goodbybags which I've paid for out of our airtime credit/balance. so that we're benefitting from the credit and not them.
Message 14 of 21
by: jaymailsays
on: 27/12/2018 | 20:32

Thanks @celinego for your update. Not having airtime balance will help. However, the second a credit, refund or payback hits the account, Merchants will extract as much cash as they are able.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 21
by: howling_wolf
on: 12/01/2019 | 01:13
I have just been hit by 2 of these, from Fitguru & Offerguru. How the hell was I subscribed when I was not on the mobile at the time or online? Why has Giff Gaff not put a block on them to stop it completely as clearly illegal actions.
Message 16 of 21
Highlighted
by: muggles708
on: 12/01/2019 | 14:43

Fitguru and Offerguru are 'Payforit' scams operated by a company called Taptronic and using shortcode 64055.

These companies use vulnerabilities of the 'Payforit' system to obtain consumers numbers and sign them up to bogus subscriptions. Simply closing an innocent looking popup can pass your number to these scammers.

GiffGaff appear to have a policy of not helping members affected by these scams, so you will have to take action yourself to stop the charges and obtain a refund.

Sending a STOP ALL text to 64055 should stop further charges. You can then call them on 03302232719 (Offerguru) and 0330 223 1099(Fitguru) to insist on  FULL refund

Fitguru are well known scammers. Take a look at their reviews on Trustpilot.Screenshot 2019-01-12 14.37.28.png

It is legally negligent and morally reprehensible for GiffGaff to allow this company to continue to plunder their memebers funds.

'Payforit' subscriptions are not strictly premium texts, although they are shown as such on your GiffGaff usage statement. 'Payforit' charges are applied directly to your account by a 'third party' which has acquired your phone number. GiffGaff make no check that you have consented to these charges, and refuse to allow you to bar them.

You need to be aware that GiffGaff leak your phone number to third parties when you access the internet using mobile data, and this is probably how your number was acquired in order to make these charges. The system which does this is called 'Payforit'.

Comprehensive and independent information and advice on dealing with these scams is on the payforitsucks website.  This website won't blame you for being scammed and provides constructive advice about forcing the scammers to refund. Support is also available if you encounter difficulties. Google "payforitsucks" or follow the link to the faq in my signature. The website contains detailed advice on the steps you need to take to stop further charges, obtain a refund and protect yourself from these scams in the future.

I hope you manage to resolve this matter. These scams are a disgrace to the mobile communications industry and GiffGaff should be doing more to assist affected members and to protect members from these scams.

Paul 

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 19 of 21
on: 13/01/2019 | 17:25

Just an update on my son being scammed by Fitguru.  Giffgaff weren't interested ... other than telling me to change his account settings to block such numbers.

I did indeed ring the number, debated strongly with a foreign lady who said she'd text my son a code within 10 working days and he should take that to any Post Office for a refund.  The text took a lot longer than 10 days and I was about to ring them again when it arrived.

Took him to PO yesterday and they didn indeed punch in the code number in that text and promptly gave him £3 cash.  So it does work if you argue your case with them and insist on a refund.

Message 20 of 21