Community

Sending texts to a GiffGaff number while abroad

Started by: lakesidelass
On: 08/12/2018 | 19:05
Replies: 10

Go to best answer
by: lakesidelass
on: 08/12/2018 | 19:05

I have been in Spain since 24 October, and have no current goody bag.
My husband is in the UK at the moment, he is also with GiffGaff.
When I send him a text, 10p is being taken off my airtime credit, I thought a text only cost 5p, but obviously I must be wrong.

Message 1 of 11
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: jt_21
on: 08/12/2018 | 19:15

@lakesidelass wrote:

When I send him a text, 10p is being taken off my airtime credit, I thought a text only cost 5p, but obviously I must be wrong.

@lakesidelass .It is 5p per text from Spain 🇪🇸 to uk without a goodybag see

http://www.giffgaff.com/roaming-charges Tap in SPAIN and it will show the prices if you click on pay as you go 

if you feel you have been incorrectly charged ask the agent to look into this for you. 

Direct link to ask an agent:
https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Top-up-balances-and-goodybags/goodybag-allowances-or-credit-ba...

Please note: Our agents aim to answer all enquiries within 24 hours. Replies from our agents can be read and responded to from https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

Message 3 of 11
by: nigelbrooks
on: 08/12/2018 | 19:07

@lakesidelass

A text back to the UK while roaming should only cost you 5p from credit if you do not have an active goodybag.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
by: jt_21
on: 08/12/2018 | 19:15

@lakesidelass wrote:

@lakesidelass .It is 5p per text from Spain 🇪🇸 to uk without a goodybag see

http://www.giffgaff.com/roaming-charges Tap in SPAIN and it will show the prices if you click on pay as you go 

if you feel you have been incorrectly charged ask the agent to look into this for you. 

Direct link to ask an agent:
https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Top-up-balances-and-goodybags/goodybag-allowances-or-credit-ba...

Please note: Our agents aim to answer all enquiries within 24 hours. Replies from our agents can be read and responded to from https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

Message 3 of 11
on: 08/12/2018 | 20:05
Thank you jt_21, I have followed your link and asked an agent to check my account. Your help is very much appreciated.
Message 4 of 11
by: jfc1951
on: 08/12/2018 | 20:19

@lakesidelass wrote:

@lakesidelass if the text was over 140 characters it would have been split over two or more texts. Does that fit with getting charged 10p?

Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.  -  Homer Simpson

Message 5 of 11
by: mrsgrowler
on: 08/12/2018 | 20:48

@lakesidelass wrote:

It’s a shame you don’t have a goodybag @lakesidelass because you could be uisng it while in Spain (assuming you are still eligible for Inclusive Roaming) but even if you had lost your eligibility to use the contents of it just having one would entitle you to the cheaper EU rates of 3.2p per min, 1p per text and £0.006 (less than 1p) per MB.

You don’t have to have your usual bag (again assum8mg you have one), a £5 one will do, but of course it is only worth doing if you are going to save more than the fiver it’s going to cost you.

Anyway just thought I’d let you know you can do this in case you were unaware.

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 6 of 11
on: 08/12/2018 | 22:06
I thought that at first, but then I counted the characters and spaces.
My phone always tells me how many characters I have left before I go onto the second page.
Message 8 of 11
on: 08/12/2018 | 22:12
Thank you for your reply.
I decided not to renew my goody bag at the end of October because I knew that I wouldn't be using my mobile to call or send texts as my husband and I were both in Spain (we have Spanish mobiles to use while we are here).
I have only been sending texts to my husband since he flew to the UK last Wednesday. He will be back in Spain on Thursday, so my mobile again will only be used with wi-fi.
Message 9 of 11
by: mrsgrowler
on: 08/12/2018 | 22:27

@lakesidelass wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
I decided not to renew my goody bag at the end of October because I knew that I wouldn't be using my mobile to call or send texts as my husband and I were both in Spain (we have Spanish mobiles to use while we are here).
I have only been sending texts to my husband since he flew to the UK last Wednesday. He will be back in Spain on Thursday, so my mobile again will only be used with wi-fi.

That’s what we do when we go to Cyprus @lakesidelass so glad it’s a conscious decision and not just down to “Oh I didn’t know that.” hence my suggestion!

Hope you are having a great time.

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 10 of 11