Knowledge Base
Community

Sim Advice

Started by: dturner2
On: 07/01/2019 | 19:31
Replies: 5

by: dturner2
on: 07/01/2019 | 19:31

I have recently got a SIM card for my old iPhone 4, I am trying to set it up so that my elderly mother is able to FaceTime her Grand-daughter in Australia.

My mother has no internet at home 

I have received the Sim and all going well, tested the FaceTime at my home and worked perfectly.

I then tried it again after turning off the wi-fi and it doesn’t connect, however it does show that you have had a missed FaceTime call.

i thought it would work without an internet connection by using the data on the sim. I have topped it up with a goodie bag.

Am I doing something wrong? 

Message 1 of 6
by: natty88
on: 07/01/2019 | 19:36

@dturner2 try this switch of and on your I messages wait til fully loads when completes do same with your face time settings when all completes restart phone to sync your number and SIM with your I tunes account this is often needed with unlocked I phones when using different network sim cards hopefully that helps sort it out 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 6
by: figment_uk
on: 07/01/2019 | 19:37

@dturner2

You are correct in thinking that Facetime should work without wifi by using mobile data.

Can you browse any websites using mobile data? 

Does the phone show a mobile data icon (3G etc) ?

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 3 of 6
on: 07/01/2019 | 20:26
Hi, it shows the 3G icon.
Have just trained to connect to a website and it says “safari cannot open the page because your IPhone is not connected to the internet!!
Message 4 of 6
on: 07/01/2019 | 20:31
The phone was originally used with gifffgaff, have tried the above and hasn’t worked
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: eddiehk6
on: 07/01/2019 | 21:01
hi @dturner2

Does the phone show normal signal bars and have working calls / texts? If so, then likely it is not correctly configured for mobile data:

Follow this guide, I recommend using the video: http://giff.ly/gg_settings

Please remember to select a ___| Best Answer +★|___and give thanks to those who helped by clicking Kudos! Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 6