Community

Sim card for UK and Ireland and allow tettering

Started by: outabout12
On: 16/05/2018 | 08:51
Replies: 18

Go to best answer
by: outabout12
on: 16/05/2018 | 08:51

I am in US currently and will be travelling to UK and Republic of Ireland in the summer.  I will be arriving in London first, then travel to Scotland for a week, then Rep of Ireland a week, then England a week. I will need a sim card with 2 GB of data for occasions where I don't have wifi, and make a few phone calls to B&B hosts. I won't need to call US. My phone is a unlocked Moto 4e.

I am looking at the goodybag sim only plan for 10GBP, including 3GB of data, unlimited text/calls, and I need to tetter a laptop.  I have searched the forum, and found a similar thread (https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Travelling-to-Ireland-and-the-UK/td-p/21524959), but still not very clear. 

Will the 10GBP plan work for both countries (I don't understand needing to purchase addition airtime from the other thread)? Is tettering allowed? 

Message 1 of 19
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: figment_uk
on: 17/05/2018 | 03:27

@outabout12

When you are in the UK, goodybags include calls and texts to UK landline numbers starting 01, 02 or 03, UK mobile numbers starting 071, 072, 073, 074, 075, 077, 078 or 079, voicemail (443) and mobile data.

Elsewhere in the EU/EEA with Roam Like At Home enabled your goodybag also includes calls and texts to any EU/EEA landline or mobile number (conditions apply)

Goodybags never include:

• Calls or texts to international numbers from the UK
  • Calls or texts to Non-UK numbers starting 01, 02 or 07 (e.g. Isle of Man or Channel Isles)
  • Calls or texts to UK numbers  starting 070 which are not mobile numbers
  • Calls or texts to numbers starting 084, 087, 09 or 118
  • Calls or texts to 5 digit short code numbers
  • MMS messages
  • Video calls to non-giffgaff numbers
  • Using your phone elsewhere in the EU/EEA if you do not qualify for 'Roam Like At Home'
  • Using your phone whilst outside the EU/EEA;

for which you need PAYG credit 

So, if the Irish boat operator has a UK number it will be included, if it's an Irish (RoI) number, it's not and you will need additional airtime credit.   Calls from UK to Irish landline numbers are 2p (0.02GBP) per minute.

The minimum airtime credit you can purchase as a standalone transaction  is 10GBP, but if you get your SIM card via an existing giffgaff member, you will receive 5GBP bonus credit after you have made your first purchase.

This guide should help you understand how you will be charged for a call, text or mobile data wherever you are in the world. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 15.47.54.jpg

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 12 of 19
by: figment_uk
on: 16/05/2018 | 08:56

@outabout12

The £10 goodybag will be good for everything as long as your itinerary is as described and you start your travels in the UK first (otherwise it will not work in RoI)

Additional airtime is only required for out of bundle charges.

Tethering is allowed. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 2 of 19
on: 16/05/2018 | 09:32
Thank you! Does ROL mean roaming ...
How long do we need to be in UK first for EU roaming to work? Just wondering ... if the sim doesn't work right away, by the time it starts working, we may be in UK less than a week before heading to Ireland ...
Message 3 of 19
by: sheppola
on: 16/05/2018 | 10:14

@outabout12

There are some Irish Networks that do not support GiffGaff fully and you would need Airtime/PAYG credit even if you qualify for GiffGaff's Roaming.

Check out the,"Three" Network,

https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k7653882-Data_Sim_card_for_Ireland_Belfast_and_D...

HTH Smiley Happy

If forum posts help please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 4 of 19
on: 16/05/2018 | 20:26
@sheppola, thank you.
But forgive me, your answer is different from @figment_uk, I am still confused. My goal is to use one sim card in both countries, as I understand that EU regulation says no roaming charge within certain EU countries. But I can't use Three because their PAYG plans do not allow tethering. If giffgaff card is not fully supported in Ireland that's no good either. As why do I need additional PAYG besides a goodybag plan?
Message 5 of 19
by: sheppola
on: 16/05/2018 | 20:36 edited: 16/05/2018 | 20:37

@outabout12

You might be OK.My post was just a warning that Ireland can be funny with Goodybags/Roaming.NI is part of the UK so you are not roaming so the normal Goodybag should work but then some people have had problems near the border with the Network flicking over to one that causes problems.

Eire is supposed to be in the EU so Roaming should work but some people have posted they have had problems.

Unless someone has been there and reported back on their experiences it's hard to say for sure Smiley Sad

If forum posts help please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 6 of 19
on: 16/05/2018 | 21:27
Thank you both for helping!
Message 7 of 19
by: giffgaff20147
on: 16/05/2018 | 21:48

@outabout12

Hello you May have a problem , giffgaff do not turn roaming on till you have used your phone in uk first for a few weeks , 

till it’s on goodybag will only work in uk not in eu so you may need credit to use phone when you leave uk 

this explains 

you must have active sim for aperiod of time in uk for roaming to work
Roaming abroad to get roaming you have to be a uk resident ,it only meant for residents to use for odd holiday max time on holiday is 60 days after that it stops ,under roaming on your giffgaff account it shows eligibility if it off you need prove u a uk resident
Hi can you check your roaming eligibility status on your account. (This can be found here - https://giffgaff.com/profile/details).

If it's on Can you check your APN settings here
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Settings-for-your-device/Internet-and-MMS-settings-APN-guide/ta-p/...

Message 8 of 19
by: pwei94
on: 16/05/2018 | 22:32
Yes you are likely to have issues having inclusive roaming if you are only in the UK for a week before Eire. Typically a new sim will be activated for inclusive roaming after around a week, but this depends on usage patterns. So it might be longer. As you are not resident in the UK you are not entitled to EEA roaming by the Regulation so there is nothing you can do about it if they don't turn roaming on. If they don't you can always roam at reduced rates of 3.2p minute 1p sms (both to destinations in the EEA only) and 0.6p mb data
Message 9 of 19
by: rosenzz
on: 16/05/2018 | 22:46
I believe the sim has to be used in the Uk for a period of time about a week before roaming can be enabled on it
Message 10 of 19