Knowledge Base
Community

Sim swap success message but still no signal on new phone?

Started by: scottcrittenden
On: 05/12/2017 | 18:34
Replies: 9

Go to best answer
by: scottcrittenden
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:34

Hi everyone

I just completed a sim swap. It appears successful on dashboard as the "waiting" message has gone and the credits and minutes etc have reappeared. However sim in old phone still appears active (was just able to dial speaking clock successfully) and new phone still has emergency calls only.

Am I meant to carry on waiting or should I speak to an agent about above? I am aware they can take 30 mins to 24 hours normally but just curious as everything I have read states when goody bag etc re show again process should be done?

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: endorphin
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:38

Hi @scottcrittenden despite appearances it sounds like your swap hasn't fully completed yet. You should wait for your original SIM to lose service at which point your new SIM should be fully swapped.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
by: smithster225225
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:35
@scottcrittenden

Hi there Smiley Happy

Turn your phone off and back on again!

This will refresh everything.

Thanks
Don't forget to AWARD BEST ANSWER Or give Kudos to members that helped!
Message 2 of 10
by: heisenberg007
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:36
@scottcrittenden

Please be patient the SIM swap usually is completed within 30 minutes however, during busy periods can take up to 24 hours to complete. I suggest you turn your mobile device off and on again periodically to see if that helps. If the SIM swap isn't completed within 24 hours ask a agent to look into this.

To contact an agent follow this https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/SIM-and-number/Performing-a-SIM-Swap/form/ link , giffgaff agents may take up to 24 hours to reply to any posted questions.

Agent replies can be found here https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

If your question isn't answered after 24 hours then contact a educator. Please follow this https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Community-information/How-do-I-contact-a-giffgaff-Educator/ta-p/40... knowledge base link on how to contact a giffgaff Educator
click to get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit
Message 3 of 10
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:36
Forgot to mention I've done that one and still no success. Any other ideas?
Message 4 of 10
by: endorphin
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:38

Hi @scottcrittenden despite appearances it sounds like your swap hasn't fully completed yet. You should wait for your original SIM to lose service at which point your new SIM should be fully swapped.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 5 of 10
by: no51get
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:40

Hi there @scottcrittenden

Please allow 24+ hours to activate the simswap sim....this can be due to busy periods and/or technical problems.Also try switching the phone and on again...(yes that old chestnut,but it can have an effect....lol)
If its been over 24 hours you may contact an agent if you feel the need.
Click the link below and you can contact an agent as they are the only ones that can access your account, but please try to exhaust all channels within the site and community for help before contacting an agent as contacting agents for unneccesary reasons can slow down replies to other genuine problems.

Please be aware that agents can take up to 24 hours to get back to you so please try to be patient.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ask an Agent. https://giffgaff.com/support/ask

Message 6 of 10
by: nigelbrooks
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:40

@scottcrittenden

Is your new device actually unlocked (or at least locked to O2)? Even an unactivated giffgaff SIM will display signal bars/dots and will not request a 'network PIN', 'SIM unlock code' or display a 'SIM not supported' or 'emergency calls only' message on an unlocked phone.

No signal bars is a pretty clear sign that the device is still locked to a network other than O2 / giffgaff.

Have you tried / can you please try the SIM in another (definitely unlocked) device? If it works then your device is still locked and you need to either contact the previous network on which the device was used or a good mobile unlocking service.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 7 of 10
by: dazoo
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:42

Hi  scottcrittenden

A sim swap can take to 30 minutes to complete but can take longer sometimes but no more than 24 hrs.

Don't think can do much unless 24 hrs has passed and sim still cant use but see if when turn off mobile then back on does anything first before do contact a giffgaff agent on this https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/SIM-and-number/Performing-a-SIM-Swap/form/

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 10
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:43
Thanks, the old one took a bit longer to lose service and the new one has taken over as you predicted, so all is successful. This is why I stick with this network, you get help straight away!
Message 9 of 10
by: nigelbrooks
on: 05/12/2017 | 18:49

@scottcrittenden

Excellent, thanks for the update.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 10 of 10