Knowledge Base
Community

Something's changed with roaming in Japan. Any info or suggestions?

Started by: tokyobuta
On: 21/07/2016 | 16:46
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: tokyobuta
on: 21/07/2016 | 16:46

I split my time between UK and Japan, and as recently as about six weeks ago could use GG sim to send (and receive) texts in Japan.  I'm guessing that voice calls would have been OK, too, but never used it at a quid a minute...  Could log on to GG with both NTTDocomo and SOFTBANK networks, no bother.

Tried yesterday using both the same phone as last time and a couple of others but could not connect to GG though I could get the phone to connect to NTTDocomo and see the "R" roaming symbol.  Previously the phone displayed the GG roaming welcome message but no more.

Has something changed with GG in Japan?  Again, up to last month could connect, now cannot.

Is there anything else I could try?

(I have Japanese mobiles,  mobile and fixed wifi, this is only for sending/receiving UK texts to my GG number.)

Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: nigelbrooks
on: 21/07/2016 | 16:54

@tokyobuta

Sadly it has.

O2 (and therefore giffgaff) no longer have a roaming agreement in place for PAYG SIMs in Japan.

There have been much increased ;security'  restrictions on the use of 'foreign' PAYG SIMs (contract SIMs are OK as there is an audit trail) since the end of May according to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.

When in:  Japan     Calling:  United Kingdom (UK)

Landlines - per minuteUnavailable
Mobiles - per minuteUnavailable

Receiving calls - per minuteUnavailable
Sending texts - per messageUnavailable
Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 2 of 6
on: 21/07/2016 | 16:54

@tokyobuta

Sadly it has.

O2 (and therefore giffgaff) no longer have a roaming agreement in place for PAYG SIMs in Japan.

There have been much increased ;security'  restrictions on the use of 'foreign' PAYG SIMs (contract SIMs are OK as there is an audit trail) since the end of May according to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 2 of 6
by: rqt
on: 21/07/2016 | 16:55

If you look here:-

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

you will find that O2 Pay & Go is "unavailable" in Japan, which means that giffgaff should also be "unavailable", although sometimes in these situations some parts of the service (e.g. receiving texts) do work.

This has been the case for most of this year at least.

Message 3 of 6
by: p33t3r
on: 21/07/2016 | 16:57
Got us stumped here. Has anything changed with your phone? Check with other providers. Make sure international roaming is on. Yes I know you have probably done this, but I'm just coming up with ideas.
Message 4 of 6
by: tokyobuta
on: 21/07/2016 | 17:07 edited: 21/07/2016 | 17:08

nigelbrooks wrote:

@tokyobuta

Sadly it has.

Thanks for that @nigelbrooks.

Makes sense - there's a big drive against "oh-re oh-re" on here  It's a nasty scam in which confused old people are phoned by persons pretending to be relatives and asking for money.  There have been regulations requiring proof of identity to get any phone or sim, even PAYG, for quite a few years now.  I suppose it makes sense to move it on to foreign PAYG sims as well: not every provider in the world charges a quid a minute for roaming calls...

Message 5 of 6
on: 21/07/2016 | 17:31

@tokyobuta

It is a real clmapdown as, reading some more, it is now not possible for a visitor to acquire a PAYG SIM 'with a number', data SIMs apparently are 'OK at the moment'.

Apparently all foreigners must have an alien registration to purchase a voice SIM. As a tourist without a visa which permits to stay for more than 90 days, you won’t get one. So most SIMs capable of voice calls are not available to visitors. This law is enforced strictly (the penalties have just been increased) and store managers have been penalized before for not asking for the proper “proof of residence” paper.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 6