Community

Stop censoring my internet!!

Started by: ruinman
On: 26/05/2017 | 19:20
Replies: 12

by: ruinman
on: 26/05/2017 | 19:20

Right.

I was never alerted, informed nor asked if I wanted an adult filter put on my account. Nor would I agree to it if it were offered. For a month or so I have been unable to access what Giff Gaff considers adult content and cannot unlock it oweing to having neither a drivers license or a passport. If I had them, I still wouldn't provide them as I am under no legal obligation to do so to access adult material.

Simply put, I have no recourse but to insist that any filtering on my account immediately be deactivated or else I find a new mobile provider. I have been a good customer for many years but I will not be told I may not access material I'm legally permitted to. I do not agree with this moralistic and unwanted censorship.

In addition, support from GiffGaff is unsatisfactory in the extreme.

Message 1 of 13
by: elmo101
on: 26/05/2017 | 19:23
Hi, @ruinman

giffgaff follows the industry standard of restricting access to sites with adult content through their mobile data network, in accordance with Ofcom's recommendations. The adult restriction can be lifted with one of the following documents.

1) UK full driving License
2) provisional License
3) Passport (machine readable)

For the complete detailed guide please check out this https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/How-do-I-lift-my-Adult-Content-Restriction/ta... knowledge base link.

Also check out this https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/advice-for-consumers/television/protecting-children/... thread from Ofcom.
Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 2 of 13
by: nerakb
on: 26/05/2017 | 19:26

Unfortunately,giffgaff have to abide by ofcom's ruling that you have to provide evidence of your age.No one at giffgaff will be able to help you with this-not even the agents.

This can be provided by either your machine readable passport or uk driving licence.If you have neither,you won't be able to lift the adult content restrictions. 

Please remember to mark a post "Best Answer" which appropriately answers your question/query.Please remember to also award kudos to posts you've found helpful/useful.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 3 of 13
by: ruinman
on: 26/05/2017 | 19:27
Early on in the offcom document it clearly states it does not expect parentsl controls to be active by default. I expressed no interest in having them active and was not notified, so why was this done?

I am still fantastically unsatisfied with that response.
Message 4 of 13
by: germansheppard234
on: 26/05/2017 | 19:45
All networks lock adult content, u have to prove u r over 18 to lift the bar, sorry u cannot do it unless u have driving licence or passport,

How do u protect under 18 if u allow it to be seen with a default to allow,

Check with other networks u will see no one sets default as on for adult content,

Sorry that is how it is in this country, sorry @ruinman
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 13
by: sweetheart62
on: 26/05/2017 | 19:59
if you are so unhappy with the restrictions and cannot provide the documentation then your only option is toleave, but check with your new provider that they do not have the same restrictions.
Message 6 of 13
by: scottgerrity
on: 26/05/2017 | 20:03
It's always been set like that, it's industry standards not just giffgaff
Message 7 of 13
by: scottgerrity
on: 26/05/2017 | 20:06
And it was recently passed that all providers inc broadband will need to opt in to access adult material as it will be blocked unless you ask them not to an satisfy the requirements
Message 8 of 13
by: shyamrai
on: 26/05/2017 | 20:28
hi Ruinman,

Unfotuantly in order for giffgaff to keep and ensure the security is high to help prevent under 18s to access adult content they have a regulation that needs to be followed unless provided with proof of valid identity to ensure you are above the age of 18 and the means of methods used to help prove this is either a
UK driving licence
Passport
provisional UK licence.

I do however understand your concern and can see why you may be upset and I hope you can understand and respect giffgaffs regulations:
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/How-do-I-lift-my-Adult-Content-Restriction/ta...
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 13
by: nigelbrooks
on: 26/05/2017 | 20:34

@ruinman

Every, and I stress every, networkis obligated under the Mobile Operator's Association (MOA) Code of Practice to prevent access by minors to adult content. I was a member of the working party that drafted the CofP back in 2002.

It has absolutely nothing to do with OfCom save that they accepted, nem. con., the actions of the MOA.

Every operator will ask a customer to prove their majority by a variety of methods. giffgaff have selected either driving licence or passport as the most appropriate for a 100% online offering.

They do not either have to ask you or seek your agreement to grant or prevent access.

giffgaff staff will not, under any circumstances, lift the content bar without your provision of the requisite document(s).

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 10 of 13