Community

Tethering

Started by: replicant6
On: 28/06/2011 | 14:15
Replies: 69

Go to best answer
by: replicant6
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:15

I understand that GiffGaff does not allow tethering due to data usage.  However, I don't see the harm tethering (using mifi) my Android mobile (OS Froyo 2.2) and my Android tablet (OS Froyo 2.2), surley this setup will not use any more data?

Message 1 of 70
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: andylamb
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:29

@annafii wrote:

If I wanted to, I could get a 32GB memory card and a torrent app on my phone. I'm sure a hell of a lot could be download just off my data connection with that. It just doesn't quite make sense to me, really.

No it doesn't make send in your case. But viewed over a cross section of users, on balance allowing people to use the internet on devices that make using the internet more comfortable and accessible will increase data use.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 70
by: silverfox55
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:17
Tethering is tethering no matter what device you put the sim in
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 70
by: yaakov1
Tethering is not allowed on giffgaff. For more info look here http://bit.ly/NOtethering
4.8. All usage of your giffgaff SIM Card must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card: (i) in, any other device including a modem connected to a PC.
It will since tablets use more than phones
Message 3 of 70
by: annafii

In all honesty I'm not entirely sure why tethering isn't allowed - they say it apparently uses more data, but I use my phone internet more than an actual laptop. It's a blanket rule for everything really. It may be permitted on the data-only goodybag, but until then, it's just not allowed I'm afraid :/

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
If a comment has helped, remember to give the poster credit by clicking
the star to the left, or marking it as the solution Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 70
by: donnie
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:18

You may not see any harm but giffgaff do and will ban you from using data if you do it. Sorry.

Welcome to giffgaff
Message 5 of 70
by: paulryan37
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:18

tehering using wifi would be ok as your not actually using giffgaff but using your data connection is banned

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 70
by: dovia
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:19

@silverfox55 wrote:
Tethering is tethering no matter what device you put the sim in

5.12. In addition to our standard terms and conditions, all usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:

a) In, or connected to, any other device including modems, dongles or any other way to connect to a PC

Where in the T&C is this mentioned

Message 7 of 70
by: random112
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:20
I think the logic behind it is that computers etc have massive hard drives and you could potentially down load gigabites an hour - as GiffGaff allow truely unlimited downloads on their goodybags. If you're only downloading or using your phone you are somewhat limited and would have to be tedious and swap out memory cards or keep transferring data manually etc to do anything similar with a phone. Otherwise they would have to cap data - and we dont want that!
Message 8 of 70
by: aiishaxx
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:20
Tethering using wifi is allowed but not allowed if you use giffgaff internet!
Accept As Solution If I Helped &; Dont Forget Kudos =)
Message 9 of 70
by: annafii
on: 28/06/2011 | 14:25

@random112 wrote:
I think the logic behind it is that computers etc have massive hard drives and you could potentially down load gigabites an hour - as GiffGaff allow truely unlimited downloads on their goodybags. If you're only downloading or using your phone you are somewhat limited and would have to be tedious and swap out memory cards or keep transferring data manually etc to do anything similar with a phone. Otherwise they would have to cap data - and we dont want that!

If I wanted to, I could get a 32GB memory card and a torrent app on my phone. I'm sure a hell of a lot could be download just off my data connection with that. It just doesn't quite make sense to me, really.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
If a comment has helped, remember to give the poster credit by clicking
the star to the left, or marking it as the solution Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 70