Texting a 12 digit phone number

Started by: cj_9
On: 21/01/2013 | 10:27
Replies: 14

Go to best answer
Highlighted
by: cj_9
on: 21/01/2013 | 10:27 edited: 21/01/2013 | 11:46

Hi all, had a quick look round the forums and whole Internet and can't seem to find anything.

My friend has a 12 digit phone number, checked by getting her to text me and it has 12. I think it's a new thing Three are trying out. Anyway she can text me but I cant reply to her as my phone just won't send to her. 

Just to clarify it's 07 not starting with 44 instead. Nobody else she texts seems to have this issue, just me.. I've got an old version of Android (pre-food) and due to hardware it's as up to date as it'll be..

Cheers in advance!

EDIT: Solved now, by removing one seven from begining (from 077 to 07) it sends, but as two convos, so one convo with what I've text (11 digit convo), one convo with what they've sent (12 digit convo). If that all makes sense.

Message 1 of 15
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: stephx_tw
on: 21/01/2013 | 10:39
Hey the same thing has happened to me with one of my contacts, if the number starts with 077 , try getting rid of one of the 7s and texting her that way, that works for me. it will mean you get texts from your friend in one message convo, but you will have to reply in another :/ ( i don't know whether that made sense)
Message 3 of 15
by: harrybee1980
on: 21/01/2013 | 10:30
You are having problems with sending or receiving SMS/texts then this trick might resolve the problem.

1. Go to settings 2. Then go to mobile networks 3. Select a network other than O2 (gg) i.e orange or tmobile. 4. Come out of settings and it should say no network coverage or something similar. 5. Repeat the process this time choosing O2 (gg) which should update the message centre and hopefully restart the texts.

The message centre number in your message settings should be +447802002606

On an iphone then it's a slightly different process.

1. Go to settings 2. Go to carriers 3. Switch off automatic and manually change the carrier to something other then O2-UK i.e vodafone or orange. 4. Come out of settings and wait until it fails to connect to the other carrier. 5. Once it fails repeat the process and this time choose O2-UK

For a shortened link to this guide click below http://is.gd/manualroam

And maybe worth trying a reboot/restart your phone
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 15
by: stephx_tw
Hey the same thing has happened to me with one of my contacts, if the number starts with 077 , try getting rid of one of the 7s and texting her that way, that works for me. it will mean you get texts from your friend in one message convo, but you will have to reply in another :/ ( i don't know whether that made sense)
Message 3 of 15
by: haseebch
interesting
when you reply, what error do you get ?
just 'message not sent' ?

can you txt him from a different phone ?

never heard of 12 digit numbers ....
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Please give 'KUDOS' if you like my post. If my answer helped then please click 'Accept as Solution'
Message 4 of 15
by: anth006
on: 21/01/2013 | 10:40
I hadn't heard of these numbers so googled it and it seems you are not the only one having problems.

It seems that people can call the numbers but have problems texting.

As it is such a new thing I would suggest that your friend contact their service provider for advice.

If you do get a solution we would love to know.

Best wishes
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 15
by: johncoleman7795
on: 21/01/2013 | 10:40

didnt they was a 12 digit number

Message 6 of 15
by: haseebch
on: 21/01/2013 | 10:41
try removing the last digit
and texting,,,,, ,see if he got it
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Please give 'KUDOS' if you like my post. If my answer helped then please click 'Accept as Solution'
Message 7 of 15
by: woodyuk
on: 21/01/2013 | 10:53 edited: 21/01/2013 | 10:54

I think the problem might be that because it's a different length to a standard number when you try to text it the giffgaff system is seeing it as a shortcode text that could be premium rate like the TV show voting text numbers for instance and so blocking it.

Message 8 of 15
by: sammytrotter
on: 23/07/2015 | 13:42

Just had this problem too.

Is removing one of the 7s in the 12 digit number the only solution since its a pain trying to keep track of conversations this way?

I did check the message centre number as suggested in the other post but the number was already correct as far as I could see.

thanks

Message 9 of 15
by: sloz
on: 23/07/2015 | 13:46
@sammytrotter
Yes unfortunately that's the only way of replying
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 15