Community

Texting to Australia

Started by: 84yellowsunshine
On: 03/01/2019 | 10:30
Replies: 6

Go to best answer
by: 84yellowsunshine
on: 03/01/2019 | 10:30

I have been trying to text a mobile number in Sydney Australia, I have put +61 in front and left off the zero.  However, even though I am charged for each text, they are not received.  Can anyone explain why this should be.  I am visiting soon so it is important that I can text my friends who are meeting me in Sydney.  

Message 1 of 7
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: jaymailsays
on: 03/01/2019 | 11:07 edited: 03/01/2019 | 11:27

@84yellowsunshine When you receive a text from Oz aren't you just replying to the contact name rather than entering the country code. 

Clearly recipient Uk mobiles that are roaming, do not need the +61 it should be +44 7 or 07.

For Oz mobiles enter the +61 

Another tip is when composing your sms post, start it with the code:-

*0# Hello (or any other greeting)

That way you will receive a free text delivery report via the Network.

It's a good idea to download Whatsapp if using a smartphone and use home or free wifi to call/ text friends if they also have the app or roaming mobile data 20p/MB

While roaming in Australia on giffgaff,;rates are as follows. You might want to try sending a photo message as text rather than an sms, as mms are cheaper and accommodate longer messages :-

Data 20p per MB
Calls & voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds) £1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments) £1 per minute
Sending texts 30p per text
Receiving texts Free
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK/EU mobile 16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile 24p per MMS

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 7
by: liquid_snake
on: 03/01/2019 | 10:35
Hi there @84yellowsunshine
Please perform a manual roam that solves common text problems. You can follow this http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Force-the-change-of-SMS-settings/ta-p/4871794 knowledge base link on how to perform a manual roam.

Also turn your phone off for a couple of minutes and on again to see if that helps.

If your still having issues address this with a giffgaff agent to investigate. To contact a giffgaff agent you will need to use the “Ask an agent” form here https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Calls-texts-and-data/Calls-texts-arent-working/form/

A giffgaff agent will try to get back to you as soon as possible however, during busy periods an agent can take up to 24 hours to answer your posted question.

Any replies from a giffgaff agent can be found “Messages From Agents" box located on your "My Giffgaff" page, or the page can be accessed by following this https://giffgaff.com/support/questions
link.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 7
by: natty88
on: 03/01/2019 | 10:36

' @84yellowsunshine Try putting 0061 then rest of number if you've been overcharged then please inquire with the agents here please 

https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Top-up-balances-and-goodybags/Credit-debit-card-or-PayPal-over...

Allow up to 24 hrs for replies although usual time frame is 3to5hrs 

the agents will reply via here 

https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 7
by: random112
on: 03/01/2019 | 10:43

@84yellowsunshine

I'm in oz right now and I confirm it works for me, to UK and oz numbers. 

You should just do +61 then drop the 0 after as you say. 

The fact you are charged means giffgaff thinks it has actually worked. You would get failed / error message if it was totally wrong. 

In previous trips I have experienced a delay in receiving text messages myself but they've always come through in the end, and as far as I know no delay sending them. 

I presume you only plan to send a text when you arrive at the airport as its super expensive to use giffgaff regularly here. 

Can I ask if the number you are texting begins 04. So you drop 0 and do +614xxxxxxxx. 

As far as I know mobile numbers seem to start 04 here and be 10 digits long (including the zero but not including +61. I ask because if your number is 02 they seem to be landlines. I am not 100% sure on that, but everyone I have met has an 04 mobile number. Just trying to think why yours isn't working.

It's possible they have accidentally blocked you, but unlikely. 

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
by: jaymailsays
on: 03/01/2019 | 11:07 edited: 03/01/2019 | 11:27

@84yellowsunshine When you receive a text from Oz aren't you just replying to the contact name rather than entering the country code. 

Clearly recipient Uk mobiles that are roaming, do not need the +61 it should be +44 7 or 07.

For Oz mobiles enter the +61 

Another tip is when composing your sms post, start it with the code:-

*0# Hello (or any other greeting)

That way you will receive a free text delivery report via the Network.

It's a good idea to download Whatsapp if using a smartphone and use home or free wifi to call/ text friends if they also have the app or roaming mobile data 20p/MB

While roaming in Australia on giffgaff,;rates are as follows. You might want to try sending a photo message as text rather than an sms, as mms are cheaper and accommodate longer messages :-

Data 20p per MB
Calls & voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds) £1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments) £1 per minute
Sending texts 30p per text
Receiving texts Free
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK/EU mobile 16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile 24p per MMS

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 7
on: 03/01/2019 | 11:57

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, I shall look carefully and try to solve the problem.

Message 6 of 7
on: 03/01/2019 | 20:20
I tried the *0# and lo and behold it worked. Thanks very much. Don't know why that should make a difference but it did.
Message 7 of 7