Started by: suki_tung
On: 12/07/2019 | 03:07
Replies: 4

Go to best answer
by: suki_tung
on: 12/07/2019 | 03:07

Hello

Hope you are well.

Because currently I’m out of London around six months, so I won’t top-up my account. I would like to ask how many months if I don’t top-up my SIM card then I’m not able to use my number? 

Kind regards,

Suki.

Message 1 of 5
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: jt_21
on: 12/07/2019 | 07:33

@suki_tungwrote:

Hello

Hope you are well.

Because currently I’m out of London around six months, so I won’t top-up my account. I would like to ask how many months if I don’t top-up my SIM card then I’m not able to use my number? 

Kind regards,

Suki.

Good question Suki, if you have some  credit money on the account 

Credit Balance (shown by the £ sign) will stay on your account until you use it up, BUT there's a tiny piece of small print, it will stay on there so long as you do not leave your phone dormant....i.e. . unused or without a top up at least ONCE every six months because

A SIM card is deactivated when it has not been used in the last 6 months. To stop deactivation do any ONE of the following actions at least ONCE every 6 months:

Make at least one call, SMS or MMS to another number *

Make at least one connection to the Internet (mobile data NOT wi-fi)

Make at least one Airtime Credit or goodybag purchase
* This does not including calls to Emergency Services or Member Services

These conditions are present to prevent the deactivation of members SIMs who have very little activity or who are active on the Community without using their SIM card much.
If your SIM card is disconnected, you will lose any remaining Airtime Credit and/or goodybag balances and also the phone number on your account.
giffgaff recycles phone numbers and we will not be able to reconnect once your number is disconnected and recycled.
giffgaff may reconnect you if any disconnection was due to our negligence.

see
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/Why-is-my-phone-number-deactivated/ta-p/82104...
for what you want to AVOID happening

So, Only ONE small Acton needed at least every six months to keep your number (from being recycled) credit money safe, lots of giffgaffers use giffgaff for emergencies only, so do make sure also that your email address with giffgaff is kept up to date here https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#email and you have access to it because giffgaff do send a reminder when a Number (sim) is about to deactivate and this gives people a chance to action the sim/account. Hope this helps 🙂

Message 5 of 5
by: random112
on: 12/07/2019 | 03:11

@suki_tung

Every 6 months you must topup OR buy a goodybag from a card or voucher OR make a chargeable call OR make a chargeable text OR use some chargeable data.

If you don't then you will be disconnected and loose your number and balance. 

You could just send 1 text to a friend before 6 months and then that is fine for another 6 months.

Message 2 of 5
by: suki_tung
on: 12/07/2019 | 04:21
Thank you for your answering my concussion Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 5
by: jaymailsays
on: 12/07/2019 | 04:44

@suki_tung 

@suki_tungwrote:

Thank you for your answering my concussion Smiley Happy

Don't knock yourself out Suki, you can top up anywhere in the World if you want to keep your number live.

Either directly on mygiffgaff or on:-

http://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/giffgaff

I have seen it written but not tested by me that logging into your dashboard and spending a few minutes checking profile details will count as usage but cannot confirm.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 5
by: jt_21
on: 12/07/2019 | 07:33

@suki_tungwrote:

Hello

Hope you are well.

Kind regards,

Suki.

Good question Suki, if you have some  credit money on the account 

Credit Balance (shown by the £ sign) will stay on your account until you use it up, BUT there's a tiny piece of small print, it will stay on there so long as you do not leave your phone dormant....i.e. . unused or without a top up at least ONCE every six months because

A SIM card is deactivated when it has not been used in the last 6 months. To stop deactivation do any ONE of the following actions at least ONCE every 6 months:

Make at least one call, SMS or MMS to another number *

Make at least one connection to the Internet (mobile data NOT wi-fi)

Make at least one Airtime Credit or goodybag purchase
* This does not including calls to Emergency Services or Member Services

These conditions are present to prevent the deactivation of members SIMs who have very little activity or who are active on the Community without using their SIM card much.
If your SIM card is disconnected, you will lose any remaining Airtime Credit and/or goodybag balances and also the phone number on your account.
giffgaff recycles phone numbers and we will not be able to reconnect once your number is disconnected and recycled.
giffgaff may reconnect you if any disconnection was due to our negligence.

see
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/Why-is-my-phone-number-deactivated/ta-p/82104...
for what you want to AVOID happening

So, Only ONE small Acton needed at least every six months to keep your number (from being recycled) credit money safe, lots of giffgaffers use giffgaff for emergencies only, so do make sure also that your email address with giffgaff is kept up to date here https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#email and you have access to it because giffgaff do send a reminder when a Number (sim) is about to deactivate and this gives people a chance to action the sim/account. Hope this helps 🙂

Message 5 of 5