Community

Top up

Started by: libbyhiston2510
On: 24/04/2018 | 21:36
Replies: 3

Go to best answer
by: libbyhiston2510
on: 24/04/2018 | 21:36

I topped my phone up £10 early today and received a message telling me it work. A few hours lateri received a messages saying my balance is £0.00 why is this ?

Message 1 of 4
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: alexmgg2
on: 24/04/2018 | 21:50

@libbyhiston2510

If you only bought airtime credit top-up and not a goodybag, then using your phone can work out quite expensive, especially data, at 5p per megabyte - if you're streaming music, then depending on the setings, your £10 could be only about 200 songs as sound only, or maybe 20 music videos.

Even if you're not using data yourself, many smartphones have loads of apps running in the background, using data all the time for things like downloading updates or checking for new messages.  It's always best to keep mobile data turned off until you actually need it.  Also, find the settings to do app updates only over Wi-Fi, and turn off background data on as many apps as possible.  If you have an iPhone, turn off Wi-Fi assist,, which uses mobile data at the same time as Wi-Fi to make it faster, or if you have a recent Android, see it it has "Smart Data", and turn that off- it's basically the same thing.

Good luck!

If someones answer has helped you solve your problem, please consider setting it as Best answer, or leaving them Kudos points. Thanks!
Message 2 of 4
on: 24/04/2018 | 21:50

@libbyhiston2510

If you only bought airtime credit top-up and not a goodybag, then using your phone can work out quite expensive, especially data, at 5p per megabyte - if you're streaming music, then depending on the setings, your £10 could be only about 200 songs as sound only, or maybe 20 music videos.

Even if you're not using data yourself, many smartphones have loads of apps running in the background, using data all the time for things like downloading updates or checking for new messages.  It's always best to keep mobile data turned off until you actually need it.  Also, find the settings to do app updates only over Wi-Fi, and turn off background data on as many apps as possible.  If you have an iPhone, turn off Wi-Fi assist,, which uses mobile data at the same time as Wi-Fi to make it faster, or if you have a recent Android, see it it has "Smart Data", and turn that off- it's basically the same thing.

Good luck!

If someones answer has helped you solve your problem, please consider setting it as Best answer, or leaving them Kudos points. Thanks!
Message 2 of 4
by: libbyhiston2510
on: 24/04/2018 | 22:06
So my credit air time is gone,been on 4g since I topped up
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
on: 24/04/2018 | 22:17

@libbyhiston2510

libbyhiston2510 wrote:

So my credit air time is gone,been on 4g since I topped up

Unfortunately, yes.

If you want to make a lot of use of your phone, especially for data, you get far better value for money if you buy a bundle of data, call minutes, and texts, called a goodybag.  See here:

https://giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

Do note that the £5 gigabag, with 500MB of data, is data only, and doesn't include any calls or texts.  Also, it can't be used as an add-on to a goodybag if you run out of data - it will just wipe out any of the allowances left on the old goodybag.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4