Knowledge Base
Community

Touch ID disabled and draining battery

Started by: benhargreaves442
On: 02/07/2017 | 21:50
Replies: 10

by: benhargreaves442
on: 02/07/2017 | 21:50

Im getting a Touch ID error message when I start my iphone 5s, despite not using touch ID, and it is draining my battery when on standby. It came on randomly and no obvious cause. Any ideas? Its draining at around 20% an hour.

If I need a repair, who are the approved repairers I can take my iphone to with giffgaff? Are any of them near Embankment, London?

Message 1 of 11
by: nigelbrooks
on: 02/07/2017 | 21:53 edited: 02/07/2017 | 21:55

@benhargreaves442

Nearest  would be the Apple Store in Covent Garden.

They get busy so it's always best to pre-book your visit by calling them first.

Do remember that only new Apple iPhones have a 12 month Apple warranty. After 12 months any repair is fully chargeable.

Also pre-owned or refurbushed phones are not supported by Appl and must be returned by post to giffgaff.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 2 of 11
by: dips18
on: 02/07/2017 | 22:02

Hey @benhargreaves442 

Try this:- 

""Reboot your iPhone or iPad. Go back to Touch ID & Passcode in Settings and turn iTunes & App Store back on. ... Remove and re-add fingerprints: Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Enter the passcode of your device > Scroll down to find fingerprints. Tap on the fingerprint, which you want to delete and then Tap on Delete.""

See this helps. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Dips
Message 3 of 11
on: 02/07/2017 | 22:08
Thanks for your help here, so I got my phone in Dec 15 - if i send it for repair with GG will I also have to pay do you know, or is it covered under terms of purchase? i bought it as a new phone ie not refurbished
Message 4 of 11
on: 02/07/2017 | 22:09
This seems like a hardware issue - my touch Id wasnt set up and ive never used it. It just started erroring when I started my phone.
Message 5 of 11
by: dips18
on: 02/07/2017 | 22:12
Hey @benhargreaves442 didnt what I suggested in my previous post work?
Don't return your phone to Giffgaff as it'll just take twice as long to get repaired.
Your best option is to take it to your nearest APPLE store and get them to take a look at it. This will be the fastest way to get your phone fixed.
Get a free giffgaff Sim

Dips
Message 6 of 11
on: 02/07/2017 | 22:19
Thanks a lot I'll book in tomorrow and get a quote from them. Out of interest what would you expect them to charge to fix this kind of thing? I did try what you suggested previously as its what apple recommends on its website when i search the help pages.
Message 7 of 11
on: 02/07/2017 | 22:20
Thanks a lot for your advice with this, definitely keen not to be without my phone for long!
Message 8 of 11
on: 02/07/2017 | 22:27
I just tried this again to be sure and its still coming up with Failed when i try to turn on Touch Id for App store or Itunes. Add fingerprint is also greyed
out.
Message 9 of 11
by: nigelbrooks
on: 02/07/2017 | 22:48

@benhargreaves442

Sadly Ben any repairs on an 18 month old iPhone will be fully chargeable.

Get a detailed estimate before proceeding. Apple  will often simply offer a discounted replacement.

Apple may claim that you can return the phone to giffgaff for a 'free' repair.

Out of warranty is out of warranty I'm afraid.

Under both UK and EU consumer law you have to provide conclusive evidence*** that the fault was either inherent to the design of the phone or existed during the initial warranty period.

Apple are constantly trying to hide behind 'non existent' legislation (or their 'interperetation' of it) when trying to justify only offering a 12 month warranty.

Sorry, but any repair, save for you being able to provide the stated evidence, will be fully chargeable.

*** You would need to get, as example,  an independent engineer's report at your own expense which provides conclusive proof that the fault was either inherent to the design of the phone (they won't find this - trust me) or pre-existed the expiry of the warranty (almost impossible to prove).

With this you then have the basis of a case for a claim against the retailer (in this case giffgaff).

Even then any reduction in the repair cost will be proportionate to the age of the product, simply having the evidence does not 'extend' the warranty, and will be based on the expected life of the product if fault free.

Apple place a three-year life expectancy on an iPhone before replacement so the absolute maximum contribution towards a repair on, as example, an 18 month old phone, would be 50% even when you have provided the, almost impossible to obtain, evidence.

My simple advice would be, in future, to buy a phone with an industry-standard 24 month warranty.

I wish I could give you a more positive reply.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 10 of 11