Community

Traveling to the US

Started by: cmaskell92
On: 13/07/2019 | 21:25
Replies: 7

Go to best answer
by: cmaskell92
on: 13/07/2019 | 21:25

Hi all I'm traveling to the USA next week and I want to use my services over there is this possible on my plan off choice or will I have to put credit on my plan and how much will I be charged as I'll be useing the internet quiet abit thanks for advice and help

Message 1 of 8
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: alecalexandrou
on: 13/07/2019 | 21:43
Roaming charges in USA

Roaming prices
Data 20p per MB
Calls & voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds) £1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments) £1 per minute
Sending texts 30p per text
Receiving texts Free
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK/EU mobile 16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile 24p per MMS

Best to get a local sim or at least turn mobile data off, as any credit you may have on your account will soon vanish.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 8
by: jeank
on: 13/07/2019 | 21:40 edited: 14/07/2019 | 01:17

@cmaskell92

Yes you will need credit for the USA ... wifi is freely available in America in many areas ... hotels .. restaurants ..Malls ..etc ...take advantage of this whenever you can ..👍📱My husband uses a 3 sim in the usa ...works out very cheap ..

Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
by: alecalexandrou
on: 13/07/2019 | 21:43
Roaming charges in USA

Roaming prices
Data 20p per MB
Calls & voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds) £1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments) £1 per minute
Sending texts 30p per text
Receiving texts Free
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK/EU mobile 16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile 24p per MMS

Best to get a local sim or at least turn mobile data off, as any credit you may have on your account will soon vanish.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 8
by: andishdi
on: 13/07/2019 | 21:48

@cmaskell92 - Using GG would be too expensive for me so when I go to the US I have a 3 Mobile sim - they do a similar thing to goody bags but it also works in many other countries.

The £10 one has worked great for us and meant we could always be online.

P.S - Check Topcashback because I think you can get cashback on them too making it an even better deal.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 8
by: majorincident
on: 13/07/2019 | 21:57

I was in New York last year and wi-fi is everywhere.  Didn't need to pay for a single call or use my data.

If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy. David Davis, Conservative MP
Message 5 of 8
by: harryjulie1
on: 13/07/2019 | 22:41
You will need to use credit in usa
Message 6 of 8
by: johnrooney80
on: 14/07/2019 | 00:02 edited: 14/07/2019 | 00:10

👋.  
https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Order the 12gb bundles, as this is max you can use over there anyhoo buddy👍

Here are a Couple Tips & Tricks before you go @cmaskell92
1) is your phone dual Sim?
If YES, grabba 3 Sim, so you can use bundle over there as opposed to credit, as its MIGHTY expensive when Roaming outside E.U on Airtime alone...stick £10 on your giffgaff Sim, take with you (kp on 3 Sim for mobile data in phone)
Plans 2 follow...🔝🔼🔼🔼🔝

2) download maps.me over WiFi before you go, so you can use offline and not consume all your data plan a switch mobile data OFF whilst attached to WiFi as it'll still burn down.

3) have your family/friends download a VoIP app, like Dingtone or WhatsApp/whatscall which is free to use over WiFi-free to call YOU...

Here's Roaming cost Page..

Http://giffgaff.com/roaming-charges

Safe Journey, Enjoy your Trip!!

Message 7 of 8
by: andishdi
on: 14/07/2019 | 07:41

@cmaskell92 - I’d always recommend you sort out a sim before you travel rather than get a local one.

In reality how much can you save by getting one locally?

Secondly you can be reassured before you travel that the 3 mobile sim is set up ok and works in your phone, ready to go the second you arrive... Lose the hotel address - no problem! Need to call to remind the neighbour to water your cacti- sorted without hassle...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 8