Knowledge Base
Community

Trying to access voicemail from the USA just gives me busy/engaged tone?

Started by: alexkerr
On: 07/12/2011 | 16:38
Replies: 7

by: alexkerr
on: 07/12/2011 | 16:38

Hi,

I arrived in the USA yesterday on a 10 day trip and my mobile gave me the new voicemail alert today, but when I follow the advice given in FAQs on this site to try and access my voicemail, I just get a busy/engaged tone from the network. So I've tried both calling my own mobile number direct and using the 443 code (I didn't expect 443 to work but just tried in case). Calling my own mobile (I'm using my mobile to do so as I don't have access to another phone) I've tried both +44794.... and 0044794... and also connected to both AT&T and T-Mobile network. Same result in every case.

I did not set up a voicemail PIN before I left the UK (didn't know I had to) but this should still work. Voicemail from the UK works fine via the 443 number.

I actually need to access the voicemail ASAP as I'm expecting it's related to a medical issue!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Alex

Message 1 of 8
by: thegamer158
on: 07/12/2011 | 17:01

Do you have credit on your phone? In the UK voicemail will take £1 of your goodybag or cost 10p if you don't have any minutes. However as you are aborad, international rates apply:

http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing

Scroll down to see the international charges

KUDOS those who helped & 'ACCEPT AS SOLUTION' for those who answered your question Smiley Very Happy
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 8
by: alexkerr
on: 08/12/2011 | 01:09

Thanks. Yes my credit is fine, I have more than enough.

Still getting a busy tone when I call myself. In a way this makes sense as of course the phone is busy as I'm calling from it, but it's not letting me access voicemail at all!

Message 3 of 8
by: pen69
on: 08/12/2011 | 01:46

this post MAY help you alex.

i hope so.  I'll keep looking into it for you. If i find anything else, i'll post it here.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Ask-the-community-got-stuck/Voicemail-from-overseas/m-p/152586...

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
You can choose any type of sim here. ;-)
Message 4 of 8
by: pitney
on: 08/12/2011 | 01:58
Abroad will cost airtime credit and it dosnt come out of a ggbag so have u credit in your phone when trying this?
Message 5 of 8
on: 08/12/2011 | 02:04

@pitney wrote:
Abroad will cost airtime credit and it dosnt come out of a ggbag so have u credit in your phone when trying this?

read the very short thread, and you'll notice that the OP has said they have credit!   Smiley Tongue

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 8
on: 08/12/2011 | 02:09

another suggestion alex.

ring your giffgaff number from another phone, let it go to voicemail, then press star (this is the point where you would input your pin) but if you havent setup a pin, maybe it will let you access your voicemail.

Ps.  This is how the newspaper phone hackers accessed voicemail. ie:-people didnt setup a pin number, leaving a loophole for others to gain access.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 8
by: rayhoo
on: 08/12/2011 | 02:45
As you had voicemail working fine in the UK then you must have set up a pin, or wouldn't have activated it.
Message 8 of 8