Knowledge Base
Community

UNLIMITED DATA ON £10 GOODY BAG....MY EYE!

Started by: liamjames2011
On: 11/03/2011 | 20:17
Replies: 129

Go to best answer
by: gawright
on: 11/03/2011 | 21:46

@carlos292 wrote:
just to add in on that one , some one is bitchin over a 20gb usage , its huge for a mobile phone on average iphones go through 1gb to 1.5gb on average a month

Are you sure? I'd guess the majority use much less than that, not even coming close to the 500MB cap on other networks

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 71 of 130
by: mary_r_t
on: 11/03/2011 | 21:46

According to my router in 8 days of up time I've gone through less than 7GB (up and down) - though I'm not sure I quite believe that it's got it right since I do most of my TV watching online!

My phone has gone through 636.16MB since the beginning of the month - and I know my use is heavier than the average.

I'm just trying to get round how someone can aim for 2GB a day of phone - the only way I could do that is really abusing my phone's flash capability.

I suppose what we have is a case of 'pseudo-tethering' where you download files to your phone with the aim of transferring them to your laptop while just staying within the rules by not transferring them live as you download them.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Urban Myths - The truth is out there!
Message 72 of 130
by: sparkybhoy
on: 11/03/2011 | 21:50

Take a look at the blazé tone of the OP's responses, no-one has accused him of tethering, but it's fair to look at the possibility. and the likelyhood.

Particularly, "don't you mean was tethering, i've no data now rememebr" no denial.

can't name the phone, describes it as some Jap import, does the job.

Makes me wonder if this thread is even genuine.

Message 73 of 130
by: liamjames2011
on: 11/03/2011 | 21:58

@sparkybhoy wrote:

Take a look at the blazé tone of the OP's responses, no-one has accused him of tethering, but it's fair to look at the possibility. and the likelyhood.

Particularly, "don't you mean was tethering, i've no data now rememebr" no denial.

can't name the phone, describes it as some Jap import, does the job.

Makes me wonder if this thread is even genuine.

just because i didn't denie it that doesn't mean i did. (which i didn't b.t.w)

i think we should all just leave this to thread rot whats done is done. i am left with a sim thats just good for txt and calls now so thats all it will be. i will just stick to my home broadband for downloads will just have to wait till i get home before can watch soaps etc. was intresting to see what other people had to say on the matter. even thogh not all of it was verry nice.

Message 74 of 130
Highlighted
by: robbie28
on: 11/03/2011 | 22:10

@liamjames, we have placed a data bar on your account because we have reason to believe you may have been using your SIM in ways that count as abuse of our service.

Your comments on this thread, and the other thread you started, also indicate that you may have been using your SIM in this way.

As other members are pointing out to you - unlimted data applies to mobile internet use on your handset. You can't use the SIM outside your handset, you can't use it for tethering, and so on.

If you believe that your usage is legitimate you can contact us privately - using the ask an agent link - and explain what you've been doing. If we accept your explanation the bar will be lifted.

This is standard practice, and the policy has been explained many times in this community.

Please take some time to consider your usage, and contact us if you want to.

Thanks

Robbie Hearn
Ex member of the giffgaff team, still fond admirer
Message 76 of 130
by: carlos292
on: 11/03/2011 | 22:18
i did read it somewhere and iphone sim only plans on o2 which a friend of mine did have she had 1 gb and paid for more on top , but she is on giffgaff now lol , so that was her sorted lol
Message 77 of 130
by: carlos292
on: 11/03/2011 | 22:20
that sounds about right , giffgaff don't bar people with out reason , and i can not see how an average daily user of a mobile phone would push to these limits
Message 78 of 130
by: da1000
on: 11/03/2011 | 22:21

@inspire wrote:

If giffgaff had defined some sort of limit then I would completely agree with you. Giffgaff have labelled their data packages as 'truly unlimited' and as such there should be no limit. Giffgaff are completely in the wrong if tethering is not involved here.

It doesn't matter if OP decides to move data from his phone to his PC once it has been downloaded. There is nothing in the terms to stop OP doing this.

They do state with the "Unlimited" that its unlimited as long as it does not impact on other users, so im guesssing it did or he was tethering Smiley Sad

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Message 79 of 130
by: samlowe
on: 11/03/2011 | 22:23

Now, finally an agent has sorted it!

My iPhone usage is 100MB a month and 115MB if you're counting UP aswel!

Nowhere neard 1 and a half gig! 

Message 80 of 130