Community

Unable to activate my new sim card

Started by: milkylulu13
On: 02/06/2016 | 13:25
Replies: 14

Go to best answer
by: milkylulu13
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:25
Saying sim code not valid. Before I tried activating it I put it in my new Sony Xperia Z5 compact, then I transferred all data and apps etc from old device to new. Then I tried activating the new sim. Should I have done that first before transferring data or does it not matter either way?
Message 1 of 15
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: sloz
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:53
@milkylulu13
Occasionally sins that arrive with a phone aren't provisioned and will usually be accepted within 24 hours of the phone delivery. It'll more than likely be accepted in due course

All I can suggest is try it every hour or 2
Just in case it doesn't work. Order a few Sims now Http://j.mp/order_sim

Also report the problem to an agent
Http://www.giffgaff.com/support/ask/activations

Replies are found here
Http://www.giffgaff.com/support/questions
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 15
by: tstarr225
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:27
Yes you should have activated the sim first, you may have to order a new sim now to try again
Message 2 of 15
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:30
Doh! Will I also have to do a factory reset on the new phone and literally start from scratch??
Message 3 of 15
by: talisker35
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:31

milkylulu13 wrote:

Saying sim code not valid. Before I tried activating it I put it in my new Sony Xperia Z5 compact, then I transferred all data and apps etc from old device to new. Then I tried activating the new sim. Should I have done that first before transferring data or does it not matter either way?

Hi @milkylulu13

It wouldnt make any difference to be honest.

Are you replacing an existing SIM as I notice you have been with giffgaff (community account) since 2013 or are you Activating a brand new SIM on a new account?

Paul.

Please note I do not receive payback for any posts I make on the giffgaff community.
Message 4 of 15
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:35
Hi I have a new phone which requires a nano sim, my old phone is a micro sim. I'm trying to replace then I guess? I'm not sure tbh. I'm rubbish at this sort of thing! 😁
Message 5 of 15
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:36
@milkylulu13
Did you purchase the phone from giffgaff And did the sim arrive with the phone?
Had the phone arrived today?

Try the sim serial number instead of the 6 digit activation code
It's the first 13 digits from the back of the sim. It'll be printed in 3 rows starting 0066
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 15
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:38
Yes phone ordered through giffgaff, arrived today including a new sim. I've tried all codes and serial numbers to no avail.....
Message 7 of 15
by: talisker35
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:39

milkylulu13 wrote:

Hi I have a new phone which requires a nano sim, my old phone is a micro sim. I'm trying to replace then I guess? I'm not sure tbh. I'm rubbish at this sort of thing! 😁

Hi @milkylulu13

hahaha, dont worry about it. Thats what the community is forSmiley Happy

If you want to keep your existing number you will need to perform what is known as a SIM Swap its pretty easy & this article will guide you through each step of the process:

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/What-is-SIM-Swap/ta-p/7320084

Or here is the steps below:

Click to reveal

To perform a SIM Swap:

• Back-up any contacts, texts and other data saved on your current SIM to your phone memory or PC, as this cannot be transferred through SIM Swap.
  • Go to the Replace your SIM section of My giffgaff and click on 'Activate your SIM'.

If you have an active PAC code on your account then the link above will not work for you. Instead follow this link to perform a SIM swap and proceed from point 3.

SIM swap 01.png

• Enter the 6 digit activation code of the new SIM card, and click 'Continue'.

SIM swap 02.PNG

• This is where SIM Swap starts. It will ask you to confirm that you want to swap SIMs. (You'll need to double check the SIM Serial Numbers (SSN) to confirm you've logged into the correct account.)

SIM swap 03.png

• After choosing "Yes, I want to replace my SIM" then "Yes, I'm sure", your old SIM will be deactivated and activation of the new SIM will begin. This may take anything from a few minutes to 24 hours - the 'norm' is around 30 minutes.

SIM swap 04.png

• Once you have pressed 'Yes I'm sure' click the button to take you back to My giffgaff where your dashboard will look like this. Once the SIM is activated your goodybag/gigabag and airtime credit will show.

SIM swap 05.PNG

• Put the new SIM into your device. Turn the device OFF/ON at 30 minute intervals until you get a signal and the SIM starts working.

• You have completed SIM Swap! Enjoy.

If you need any help....just shoutSmiley Happy

Paul.

Please note I do not receive payback for any posts I make on the giffgaff community.
Message 8 of 15
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:44
Lol. But when I try to activate the new sim it comes up with invalid code....Speak I can't even get past that to replace new with old...
Message 9 of 15
on: 02/06/2016 | 13:53
@milkylulu13
Occasionally sins that arrive with a phone aren't provisioned and will usually be accepted within 24 hours of the phone delivery. It'll more than likely be accepted in due course

All I can suggest is try it every hour or 2
Just in case it doesn't work. Order a few Sims now Http://j.mp/order_sim

Also report the problem to an agent
Http://www.giffgaff.com/support/ask/activations

Replies are found here
Http://www.giffgaff.com/support/questions
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 15