Community

Unable to use my phone with GiffGaff.

Started by: miket52295
On: 12/06/2019 | 12:26
Replies: 10

Go to best answer
by: miket52295
on: 12/06/2019 | 12:26

I have put a GiffGaff sim card into my New Nokia 7.1 My screen shows the giffgaff logo top left of the screen,which also shows a large padlock.I have TRIED to get into my phone by swiping up/down/across the screen but it still will NOT let me into the phone.I am not sure what to do next? If anyone can help with this issue It will be appreciated I can assure you.

Many thanks,Mike (miket52295)

Message 1 of 11
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: nigelbrooks
on: 12/06/2019 | 12:29

@miket52295 

Hello

OK, let's firstly eliminate 'possibilities'.
Going through this list step-by-step will isolate the problem to either your phone or to the network.
Feel free to skip any parts that you have already tried, e.g. 'was your SIM working previously?'
Sorry, it is a bit of a 'list', it is a 'catch all possibilities' reply but it will certainly help you to pinpoint the problem.

ACTIVATION/ RESTART
Firstly, if you have just activated your SIM it can take up to 24 hours for the full activation process to complete, a periodic restart will help.
Have you restarted your device since the problem became evident? This simple action often clears 'problems'.
If you have an iPhone, please try a resync with iTunes.

CREDIT
Do you have an active goodybag? Please dial *100*7# to check
Do you have credit? (needed if you don't have a goodybag or for any international calls/texts) Please dial *100# to check

LOCAL SERVICE PROBLEMS
Are there local service issues? Please enter your FULL postcode here to check http://status.o2.co.uk/

If service issues are shown you can use the same site to register for updates on the resolution of these.
Was your giffgaff SIM working previously?

UNLOCKED DEVICE?
Is your device actually unlocked (or at least locked to O2)? Even an unactivated giffgaff SIM will display signal bars/dots and will not request a 'network PIN', 'SIM unlock code' or display a 'SIM not supported' message on an unlocked phone.

Do you get any signal bars? No signal bars is a pretty clear sign that the device is still locked to a network other than O2 / giffgaff.

Have you tried / can you please try the SIM in another (definitely unlocked) device? If it works then your device is still locked and you need to either contact the previous network on which the device was used or a good mobile unlocking service.
If your phone continues to show an 'unavailable' message with a different sim card I would recommend that you visit www.checkmend.com/uk to check the IMEI status of your phone (alternatively www.imeipro.info which is a free website). If your device was purchased second hand it is possible that it is blacklisted (and has been reported as lost or stolen).

SIM FAILURE?
It could be that your SIM is 'failing in service'. Rare but it does happen

This is easy to resolve.
Please order a new SIM from:
https://giffgaff.com/orders/mgm

When it arrives, you will need to perform a simple SIMswap.
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/What-is-SIM-Swap/ta-p/7320084

Your current number and any goodybag / credit will transfer as part of the process.
Don't forget to back up any contacts on your SIM as these do not transfer as part of the process.

I hope that this helps you to solve the problem.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 2 of 11
on: 12/06/2019 | 12:29

@miket52295 

Hello

OK, let's firstly eliminate 'possibilities'.
Going through this list step-by-step will isolate the problem to either your phone or to the network.
Feel free to skip any parts that you have already tried, e.g. 'was your SIM working previously?'
Sorry, it is a bit of a 'list', it is a 'catch all possibilities' reply but it will certainly help you to pinpoint the problem.

ACTIVATION/ RESTART
Firstly, if you have just activated your SIM it can take up to 24 hours for the full activation process to complete, a periodic restart will help.
Have you restarted your device since the problem became evident? This simple action often clears 'problems'.
If you have an iPhone, please try a resync with iTunes.

CREDIT
Do you have an active goodybag? Please dial *100*7# to check
Do you have credit? (needed if you don't have a goodybag or for any international calls/texts) Please dial *100# to check

LOCAL SERVICE PROBLEMS
Are there local service issues? Please enter your FULL postcode here to check http://status.o2.co.uk/

If service issues are shown you can use the same site to register for updates on the resolution of these.
Was your giffgaff SIM working previously?

UNLOCKED DEVICE?
Is your device actually unlocked (or at least locked to O2)? Even an unactivated giffgaff SIM will display signal bars/dots and will not request a 'network PIN', 'SIM unlock code' or display a 'SIM not supported' message on an unlocked phone.

Do you get any signal bars? No signal bars is a pretty clear sign that the device is still locked to a network other than O2 / giffgaff.

Have you tried / can you please try the SIM in another (definitely unlocked) device? If it works then your device is still locked and you need to either contact the previous network on which the device was used or a good mobile unlocking service.
If your phone continues to show an 'unavailable' message with a different sim card I would recommend that you visit www.checkmend.com/uk to check the IMEI status of your phone (alternatively www.imeipro.info which is a free website). If your device was purchased second hand it is possible that it is blacklisted (and has been reported as lost or stolen).

SIM FAILURE?
It could be that your SIM is 'failing in service'. Rare but it does happen

This is easy to resolve.
Please order a new SIM from:
https://giffgaff.com/orders/mgm

When it arrives, you will need to perform a simple SIMswap.
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/What-is-SIM-Swap/ta-p/7320084

Your current number and any goodybag / credit will transfer as part of the process.
Don't forget to back up any contacts on your SIM as these do not transfer as part of the process.

I hope that this helps you to solve the problem.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 2 of 11
by: natty88
on: 12/06/2019 | 12:29 edited: 12/06/2019 | 12:39

@miket52295  is the phone unlocked or on the 02 network if not it won't work with giffgaff SIM card 

Also try a battery pull leave a few mins then replace and switch phone on again to see 

Or try a soft reset by holding tdown the power button and volume up down button at the same time until phone reboots its self and see if works then @nigelbrooks  cheers wasn't sure no the mobile model 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 11
on: 12/06/2019 | 12:31

@miket52295 

One more thought, the screen lock may have 'frozen', in which case, please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgP4aNyovaI

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 11
by: rebelyell
on: 12/06/2019 | 12:32
Did you buy the phone new or pre-owned?
Message 5 of 11
on: 12/06/2019 | 12:34

@natty88wrote:

@miket52295  is the phone unlocked or on the 02 network if not it won't work with giffgaff SIM card 

Also try a battery pull leave a few mins then replace and switch phone on again to see 

@natty88 

The 7.1 has a hot-sealed case so you can't sadly pull the battery for a simple reset.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 11
by: richybhoy36
on: 12/06/2019 | 13:02
Hi is your handset either unlocked,sim free or locked to O2?
Message 7 of 11
by: miket52295
on: 12/06/2019 | 17:14

H1! Richboy36.

MY Nokia 7.1 was unlocked, sim free.I put in the giffgaff sim card and nothing! I have a screen with a large lock on it,and a

giffgaff logo in the top left corner BUT no Signal.I think that my wi-fi has connected with my Virgin Media.com,which is my current wi-fi signal,I am unable to connect to O2 so what can I do now?!! Can anyone suggest an answer to this question?

Please help. and thanks Mike. miket52295

Message 8 of 11
by: giffgaff20147
on: 12/06/2019 | 17:39
  • @miket52295wrote:

H1! Richboy36.

MY Nokia 7.1 was unlocked, sim free.I put in the giffgaff sim card and nothing! I have a screen with a large lock on it,and a

giffgaff logo in the top left corner BUT no Signal.I think that my wi-fi has connected with my Virgin Media.com,which is my current wi-fi signal,I am unable to connect to O2 so what can I do now?!! Can anyone suggest an answer to this question?

Please help. and thanks Mike. miket52295

Hello is the phone new or used ,if the padlock covers whole screen and you can’t swipe up it suggests it’s the phone that’s locked or maybe blocked 
Message 9 of 11
on: 12/06/2019 | 17:43

@miket52295 

Did you try the reset procedure that I posted?

If this did not work then you have a defective phone and you need to return it.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 11