Community

Use giffgaff in united state

Started by: mbzvt8
On: 15/05/2019 | 23:44
Replies: 8

by: mbzvt8
on: 15/05/2019 | 23:44

Can I use my giffgaff out of uk?

When I travel to US, can I just use The Data in my goodybag? Or I cannot use my goodybag and need to pay for extra money?

Message 1 of 9
by: clikasarus
on: 15/05/2019 | 23:46

@mbzvt8  Hi welcome to giffgaff and the community

Not with a goodybag as USA 🇺🇸isn’t in the EU

You will need airtime credit

•Here is a price guide ⬇️

Roaming Charges

• I would recommended you  try to use free WiFi as this would be cheaper than using mobile data

•Here is a guide to using your mobile abroad ⬇️

Using Your Mobile Abroad

I hope this helps 👍🏻

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 9
by: smiler121786
on: 15/05/2019 | 23:47

@mbzvt8wrote:

Can I use my giffgaff out of uk?

When I travel to US, can I just use The Data in my goodybag? Or I cannot use my goodybag and need to pay for extra money?

Giffgaff SIMs are enabled for international roaming and can be used all around the world including the USA 

However, the goodybag allowances can only be used in the UK or when your roaming the EU(selected countries). If you wish to use the services out the EU you will need to add airtime credit(£10 minimum)  here

The following charges apply when using the services in the USA. 
Data 20p per MB
Calls & voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds) £1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments) £1 per minute
Sending texts 30p per text
Receiving texts Free
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK/EU mobile 16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile 24p per MMS

I also suggest you check out this https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Using-your-mobile-abroad/ta-p/3522931 link for more details on using the giffgaff services abroad.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 9
by: z201205
on: 16/05/2019 | 07:21
Minimize your costs by getting a local SIM whilst there. Or it may be more convenient to get a 3 SIM for your visit as USA is one of their feel at home destinations.
Message 4 of 9
by: he22ie
on: 16/05/2019 | 07:47

Using any roaming sim in the United States is inordinately expensive. They have the most expensive data in the world at about 12 dollars a gig. See here

International roaming outside the EU is set up by default, so you don't need to change anything at your end, however you will need credit available as GoodyBags only apply when you're in the UK or EU.

Making calls (including voicemail): £1/min

Receiving calls (including calls which go to voicemail): £1/min

Sending texts: 30p

Receiving texts: Free

MMS (to UK): 16p

MMS (to non-UK): 24p

Data (within 'Zone A'): 20p/MB

Data (all other areas) £5.00/MB

This applies to any country outside Europe; 'Zone A' is: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Jamaica, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Russia, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and United States

You can find more information at https://giffgaff.com/roaming-charges

Message 5 of 9
by: he22ie
on: 16/05/2019 | 07:49

Your best bet is to use a local sim. Hotel staff can usually advise you. Other than that it's free WiFi 

Message 6 of 9
by: wagstaffej
on: 16/05/2019 | 08:57
@mbzvt8
Using giffgaff in the USA is very expensive. You will need plenty of airtime credit!
Roaming prices in the USA are,
Data 20p per MB
Calls & voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds) £1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments) £1 per minute
Sending texts 30p per text
Receiving texts Free
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK/EU mobile 16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile 24p per MMS

If your phone is unlocked you should consider getting a Three PAYG SIM and one of their Add-ons for your trip, much cheaper. Just remember to activate and use it at least once before you travel.
http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs
Have a great trip.
Message 7 of 9
by: mbzvt8
on: 16/05/2019 | 10:23
thanks!
Message 8 of 9