Using GiffGaff 4G as alternative to broadband

Started by: jasminesharp
On: 12/06/2019 | 20:34
Replies: 9

Go to best answer
by: jasminesharp
on: 12/06/2019 | 20:34

Hi All

I've been with GiffGaff for a few years now, which has worked out pretty well for me so far. I'm hoping for some thoughts on using GiffGaff data as an alternative to home broadband.  My broadband internet is seriously crap - 3Mbps absolute maximum. I'm right at the end of the connection to the exchange, so no hope of improvement unless fibre comes to the village. Do other people use GiffGaff to connect their home computer? If so, do you hotspot off your phone, or is there a router option? 

Message 1 of 10
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: tosh999
on: 14/06/2019 | 09:56
Hi @jasminesharp
I have been using my sim instead of broadband/home phone line for around 2 years now with no problems. I actually use a second sim in a TP-Link portable router although on many occasions I have used the hotspot on my mobile.
Both methods are fine and I get the same results whichever I use.
I suppose it all comes down to how much data you are using, so choose your goodybag wisely.
As far as I know there are no restrictions imposed by giffgaff on tethering apart from the reduced speed with the £25 goodybag once your usage reaches 20GB.
The system works so well for me that I just took out a Netflix subscription and testing shows that streaming a one hour film at low quality (perfectly acceptable) takes around 250mb data. No buffering whatsoever.
Even using 2 sims as I do (not necessary by the way) I find that this is much cheaper than paying for a broadband/landline connection.
It very much depends on your individual circumstances. Maybe in a family situation it's not so good.
I would recommend that you try it out for a couple of months using your mobile as a hotspot to test the signal quality and speed etc and if you experience no problems then ditch the broadband later.
Good luck.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 10
by: bemski
on: 12/06/2019 | 21:23
Hi jasmine,

Good idea, ive been playing around with 4g modems recently, and got one working as a wifi hotspot, was quite impressed with the speed and around 3x the speed you mention, so if your not doing lots of streaming video say things like iplayer i would think its worth a try, i guess one factor would be how good the signal is where you live, on the router I'm using theres a 10 conection limit but i doubt yould need more
Message 2 of 10
by: timmy16
on: 12/06/2019 | 22:31

This would be ideal if you are just looking to browse the Internet, although you should be aware that. With Always On you get 20GB of data at full 4G speed. After 20GB of data used you'll experience a reduced data speed of 384kbps from 8am to Midnight. You may notice that activities which require high amounts of data, like HD video streaming, will be slower.

I have used hotpots on my phone to my laptop with no problems but I know in the past giffgaff have frowned apone this and turned my data off temporarily. I would try hotspoting with your phone and if all is well and you don't find the bandwidth restrictions a problem buy a modem. 

You this helps, and have a great day. 

Message 3 of 10
by: mcilwraith
on: 13/06/2019 | 11:18

just browsing ok

anything else forget it.at the moment there is no substitute for home broadband.

is there no sort of booster available from your provider?

Message 4 of 10
by: jasminesharp
on: 13/06/2019 | 21:10

No, there's option to improve the broadband connection.  My area doesn't have fibre and I'm too far from the exchange to get better than 3mbps (and that's on a good-ish day). I've had the BT Openreach engineers out to check it because I had thought it was so crap that it must have been broken. It is genuinely faster to hotspot off my phone. My query is specifically about whether other people have found the 4G connection speed and data allowance workable. 

Message 5 of 10
by: alexmgg2
on: 13/06/2019 | 21:57

@jasminesharpwrote:

No, there's option to improve the broadband connection.  My area doesn't have fibre and I'm too far from the exchange to get better than 3mbps (and that's on a good-ish day). I've had the BT Openreach engineers out to check it because I had thought it was so crap that it must have been broken. It is genuinely faster to hotspot off my phone. My query is specifically about whether other people have found the 4G connection speed and data allowance workable. 

I have connected my computer through giffgaff, but only as a backup for a day or two while the broadband wasn't working.  I wouldn't reccomend it on a permanent basis, 20GB of full speed data a month would be very limiting (that's about 4 or 5 movies a month, even if you did nothing else online.)

HTH

If someones answer has helped you solve your problem, please consider setting it as Best answer, or leaving them Kudos points. Thanks!
Message 6 of 10
by: charlixsparkles
on: 13/06/2019 | 22:10
I used my phone as a hotspot a few years ago. It was fine until you needed to download something big D:
Message 7 of 10
by: pwei94
on: 14/06/2019 | 08:33
Where in the country are you. Some places there is microwave link internet available that is faster. Also you council should have a faster broadband team who could help with your options.
You might want to research what networks cover where you live with the best does speeds and then see how much data you use and see what packages are available.
With giffgaff toy might want the £20 package and buy a new one when it ends. The £25 one would be useless after 20gb
Message 8 of 10
by: freezing77
on: 14/06/2019 | 09:46

@jasminesharpwrote:

Hi All

I've been with GiffGaff for a few years now, which has worked out pretty well for me so far. I'm hoping for some thoughts on using GiffGaff data as an alternative to home broadband.  My broadband internet is seriously crap - 3Mbps absolute maximum. I'm right at the end of the connection to the exchange, so no hope of improvement unless fibre comes to the village. Do other people use GiffGaff to connect their home computer? If so, do you hotspot off your phone, or is there a router option? 

There are better options than giffgaff to replace home broadband, specifically for the amount of data that will be used. Something like threes ulimited data plan for £22/month on a 12 month contract.

Message 9 of 10
by: tosh999
on: 14/06/2019 | 09:56
Hi @jasminesharp
I have been using my sim instead of broadband/home phone line for around 2 years now with no problems. I actually use a second sim in a TP-Link portable router although on many occasions I have used the hotspot on my mobile.
Both methods are fine and I get the same results whichever I use.
I suppose it all comes down to how much data you are using, so choose your goodybag wisely.
As far as I know there are no restrictions imposed by giffgaff on tethering apart from the reduced speed with the £25 goodybag once your usage reaches 20GB.
The system works so well for me that I just took out a Netflix subscription and testing shows that streaming a one hour film at low quality (perfectly acceptable) takes around 250mb data. No buffering whatsoever.
Even using 2 sims as I do (not necessary by the way) I find that this is much cheaper than paying for a broadband/landline connection.
It very much depends on your individual circumstances. Maybe in a family situation it's not so good.
I would recommend that you try it out for a couple of months using your mobile as a hotspot to test the signal quality and speed etc and if you experience no problems then ditch the broadband later.
Good luck.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 10