Community

Using GiffGaff Sim in a tracker

Started by: falconlee
On: 19/06/2018 | 14:15
Replies: 2

by: falconlee
on: 19/06/2018 | 14:15

Hi there,

We use Giff Gaff sims in vehicle trackers that we sell - one of my customers has reported that his credit has been going down by 5p per day even if he is not using the tracker.  He states that he gets 5 data transmissions per day and each of these costs 1p and they show up as an airtime credit transaction.

normally customers accounts remain the same unless they call the tracker and then the tracker sends them back a GPS location message costing 5p.

Anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them?

Lee

Message 1 of 3
by: unftlaty
on: 19/06/2018 | 14:27 edited: 19/06/2018 | 14:29

Dont know if this helps there is a search box at the top of the forum if you search SIM tracker there are many threads about it such as the one below hope this helps

"Contactin an Agent showed that the balance was being consumed by Data usage and not by Text charges as thought. The Agent also said that there were loads of Data requests, and then by monitoring myself using a snipit picked up from another thread I used this:-
https://giffgaff.com/profile/usage-statement
which allowed me to see the last 5 charges in the previous 24 hours.
I than noticed a pattern, the data was pulled by the device every hour and I also saw that the SIM had GPRS ON. The unit was purchased from Amazon (XCSOURCE Vehicle Tracker Real-time Locator GPS/GSM/GPRS/SMS Tracking Motorcycle Car Bike Antitheft AH207 ). The instructions are poor and searching the net I found several variants of the device.
Eventually I found these two commands "GPRS123456" which set GPRS on and then "SMS123456" which sets GPRS off and puts the device in SMS mode.
So the GiffGaff sim comes with GPRS on and hopefully now I switched it off the issue is resolved."

Order a SIM to join Giffgaff and you'll get £5 extra credit when you activate with £10 or more.

https://www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/unftlaty?ggSMS=app
Message 2 of 3
by: cbaddiley
on: 13/07/2018 | 01:33
@unftlaty Hmmmm. Interesting find about being able to switch GPRS off for your GPS tracker, and for it to reply solely to SMS requests. How are you getting on with it? I presume the data usage on that giffgaff SIM has dropped right off. What's your data usage like?
My understanding on this device is that you can ping these GPS trackers by SMS from your mobile to request its current location which costs you 5p per SMS sent from the GPS tracker. The other option is for the GPS tracker to upload its current GPS coordinates via GPRS to a free GPS tracking portal (such as GPSWOX) at regular intervals (user programmable from every few seconds to once every 5 hours) which will use a tiny bit of GPRS data for each upload it makes. You can then sign into GPSWOX and view the GPS tracker activity on a Google map.
Let me know how you get on please. I'm interested.
Message 3 of 3