Very slow 3G/4G data

Started by: tuneintestaccount
On: 23/09/2015 | 16:50
Replies: 8

Go to best answer
by: tuneintestaccount
on: 23/09/2015 | 16:50

Hello,

Am new here so don't know if this is the right place to put it. Feel free to move if required.

I have also just experienced very slow internet. I cannot comment on whether O2 is faster or not, because I don't have an O2 sim card. 

My problem is that I live in virtually full strength for 3G HSPA connection. I did a speed test and got about 0.4 Mbps. When I tested the SIM last time, I got about 1Mbps.

On comparison, EE/3/MBNL has always provided 15Mbps in my area on 3G HSPA. I have just tested a Virgin/MBNL SIM and got 18.31 Mbps, which is normal for this area.

I also tested out 4G on 800MHz and got a speed of aout 2Mbps - the 4G speed was very variable. 

Is there a reason for these slow speeds, or is it just because Giffgaff are at the very bottom of the pile when it comes to priority on O2's network?  Because 3G on MBNL is fater than 4G on Giffgaff....

Thanks!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 9
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: blockmonkey
on: 23/09/2015 | 19:18
Unfortunately the speeds can be slow during peak times. I usually get around 1.5mb during the day. But it can go up to 8mb during midnight. Great for streaming stuff suring nightshift. Not so great during the day.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 9
by: keelanginge
on: 23/09/2015 | 16:52
Hello @tuneintestacco

Check to see if there are any network outages in the area you are in: http://giff.ly/ggservice

If the network is fine then try turning your phone off, waiting 5 mins and turn it back on,

If still no joy, try doing a manual roam to see if that helps http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/manual-roam/m-p/3345471#M32502

furthermore try turning air-plane/flight mode on and then back off.
If I helped click ''best answer and kudos'' thanks.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click Banner Above For A Free One Sim Fits All With £5 Credit.
Message 2 of 9
by: neilje12
on: 23/09/2015 | 16:58
Giffgaff 3g and 4G is slow. I've got used to it now.
Message 3 of 9
on: 23/09/2015 | 19:07

keelanginge wrote:

Hello @tuneintestacco

Check to see if there are any network outages in the area you are in: http://giff.ly/ggservice

If the network is fine then try turning your phone off, waiting 5 mins and turn it back on,

If still no joy, try doing a manual roam to see if that helps http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/manual-roam/m-p/3345471#M32502

furthermore try turning air-plane/flight mode on and then back off.

Hi there,

Just checked for network outages and I got this:

Sorry we're currently working on a phone mast in this area

You might experience problems making calls, using the internet, or sending/receiving emails.

Updated 19:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

So wonder if this may be why my speeds were a bit slow yesterday?

I can't test it now though as my SIM is totally out of credit - will need to either earn credit or top up before I can test again.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this will improve the 4G strength and the 3G/4G speeds?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 9
on: 23/09/2015 | 19:12

neilje12 wrote:

Giffgaff 3g and 4G is slow. I've got used to it now.

Oh okay, thanks for the info. I had heard that O2 use a priority system for their network, and GG is right at the bottom of the priority list, but didn't think it would be that bad.

Within full signal strength of the local 3G2100 mast I got a download speed of less than 0.5Mbps. On 4G800, which is weak in this area and coming from a more distant mast, I got about 2Mbps downlink.

When I tested the network previously I got ~1Mbps on 3G (this was before 4G was turned on) and depite 2G connecting to EDGE, the reliability (in terms of Tunein Radio) was worse than GPRS on EE.

Maybe I will have to keep this as a test account only - and stick with MBNL as their 3G is fast enough (faster than GG's 4G!) and EE's 4G is miles ahead of the competiton.

Thanks for your help.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
by: blockmonkey
on: 23/09/2015 | 19:18
Unfortunately the speeds can be slow during peak times. I usually get around 1.5mb during the day. But it can go up to 8mb during midnight. Great for streaming stuff suring nightshift. Not so great during the day.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 9
by: dianascot1
on: 23/09/2015 | 19:21
Have you double-checked the signal checker to see if there are any problems in your area?

https://giffgaff.com/coverage-and-service
Message 7 of 9
on: 24/09/2015 | 13:42

dianascot1 wrote:

Have you double-checked the signal checker to see if there are any problems in your area?

https://giffgaff.com/coverage-and-service

Shows up as a very good service for 3G - good indoors and outdoors. That is what I am also experiencing; full signal on 3G

I don't get how the speeds can be so dire though, in comparison to MBNL.

To the poster that said about using the internet at night time: most of my internet usage is during the daytime and I rarely stay up later than 11pm. So late night browsing isn't an option.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 9
on: 25/09/2015 | 11:36 edited: 25/09/2015 | 11:37

blockmonkey wrote:

Thanks for the advice - marked as solution.

Guess that the priority system does indeed work as I thought - and that if I need to use the network, I'm best off buying an O2 PAYG SIM instead as it will give me better speeds.

Having said that O2 are currently being bought out by 3... so things should improve on giffgaff if that does happen!

Thanks once again,

Tuneintestaccount

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 9