Visiting Marrakesh

Started by: doriea
On: 27/01/2019 | 15:50
Replies: 5

by: doriea
on: 27/01/2019 | 15:50

Hi there

just want to know about using my mobile to access the internet 

I ,ve topped up my credit to £30 but generally use the internet all day  on and off .

I ,ve been warned off using public WiFi like the hotels ? 

Many tips greatly appreciated 

Also if ransoms I uk try calling will I be charged and how do I avoid this ? 

Many tjanks ! 

Ps Leaving tommorow Monday 28th january 2019

Message 1 of 6
by: willscarlett
on: 27/01/2019 | 15:53
Hi, it will be quite expensive I've afraid - especially data
Roaming prices
Data
£5 per MB
Calls & voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds)
£1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments)
£1 per minute
Sending texts
30p per text
Receiving texts
Free
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK/EU mobile
16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile
24p per MMS
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 6
by: mrsgrowler
on: 27/01/2019 | 16:38

@doriea wrote:

Hi there

just want to know about using my mobile to access the internet 

I ,ve topped up my credit to £30 but generally use the internet all day  on and off .

I ,ve been warned off using public WiFi like the hotels ? 

Many tips greatly appreciated 

Also if ransoms I uk try calling will I be charged and how do I avoid this ? 

Many tjanks ! 

Ps Leaving tommorow Monday 28th january 2019

As you will have seen @doriea uisng your sim for data in Marrakesh will be VERY expensive so using free wi-fi where possible is an obvious alternative.

But you say you have been warned off using public wi-fi and indeed this is good advice if you want to visit places where you have personal details such as your e-mail, facebook or bank accounts,

However there is a way you can use public wi-fi but without the risk and that is to use a VPN.

This is a Virtual Private Network which means that even if connected to a public wi-fi all your traffic goes "through an encrypted tunnel”  so that any one looking at the public network doesn’t see your activity and is therefore unable to intercept or interfere with it.

There are lots of VPNs  available both free and paid for so have a quick look and see if this might be an option for you.

Consider the following when looking

A paid for service will be better - in terms of access to servers - than a free one but all will provide a basic level of protection.

Paid for services often offer better rates the longer you you have them for eg you can get a month long plan for a tenner but a 3 month one for £18 and so on.

But as you don’t only have to use a VPN when abroad - free wi-fi hotspot’s in the U.K. can be just as dangerous - getting a longer subscription might be worth while.

I use NordVPN who are currently running a TV ad campaign where you can get 3 years for about £2.50 a month so you may want to take a look at that.

https://nordvpn.com/special/tv-britain/

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 3 of 6
by: endorphin
on: 27/01/2019 | 16:40

Hi @doriea it will be very expensive to you your giffgaff SIM in Morocco

Data £5 per MB
Calls & voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds) £1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments) £1 per minute
Sending texts 30p per text
Receiving texts Free

note that it will cost you £1/min to receive calls so to be on the safe side you should turn on flight/airplane mode or disable the giffgaff SIM in your phone's settings.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 4 of 6
by: giammy85
on: 27/01/2019 | 16:42
I hope you enjoy the trip doriea!
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: doriea
on: 28/01/2019 | 21:46

Thankyou very much all ! that’s very useful info , Is there one programme that covers all your internet security needs Ivwonder ?!

Leaving now so will try to get sorted on route ! 

Message 6 of 6