Knowledge Base
Community

WATER DAMAGE. Got a Samsung S6 on contract with RateSetter 3 months ago and have a GIFFGAFF sim.

Started by: jada1992
On: 08/08/2016 | 10:03
Replies: 19

by: jada1992
on: 08/08/2016 | 10:03

Hello there,

Recently got a Samsung S6 on contract with RATESETTER and am on GIFFGAFF sim and have dropped my phone down the toilet. My phone turns itself on and also can not see the screen. Have left it in a tin of rice in the airing cupboard and will wait for a couple of days to see what it does.. but Im thinking it wont recover from this. What do I do?

Message 1 of 20
by: fidas
on: 08/08/2016 | 10:05
Hi so sorry water damage is not included in warranty if it dsnt work u will have to have it repaired urself
Message 2 of 20
by: giffygaffer01
on: 08/08/2016 | 10:05
@jada1992

Sorry about what happen there.

Since you feel it may not be upto the mark when you get it out of rice, you can send it off for an estimated quote from the engineers.

They'll check the damage and give you a quote for it.

Go through the repairs process below,

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Returns-and-Repairs-process/ta-p/10316825
Please mark a best answer, if your questions have been answered, helps others Smiley Wink

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 20
by: bigdaveuk
on: 08/08/2016 | 10:06
first mistake is putting it in rice mate, but drying it out wrapped in dry towl should help,
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 20
by: antonio75
Hi....if the phone remains broken then you need to get it fixed yourself as accidental damage is not covered by warranty.
Message 5 of 20
by: bigjohnhall
Hi, unfortunately water damage isn't covered by the warranty. Did you get any insurance from somewhere ?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 20
by: jada1992
on: 08/08/2016 | 10:09

Oh okay.. I wouldnt of thought that i could get it repaired to be honest.

Message 7 of 20
by: gnsmith
on: 08/08/2016 | 10:10

As suggested above, water damage isn't covered under any manufacturer's warranty, so a cost of repair, if possible, will be yours to cover. Often though it's not the water that does the damage, but the resulting short circuiting that occurs afterwards. I'm not familiar with this model but if possible, remove the battery from it and leave it for a good few days, even a week, before attempting to plug it in to charge or switching it on. Put it somewhere warm, say an airing cupboard (but not directly on a heated radiator for example!), and the bag of rice shouldn't do any harm so long as the rice isn't getting inside the case somehow! It may be though, that the damage has already been done. Good luck.

Message 8 of 20
by: terencedaly
on: 08/08/2016 | 10:13 edited: 08/08/2016 | 10:16

jada1992 wrote:

Hello there,

Recently got a Samsung S6 on contract with RATESETTER and am on GIFFGAFF sim and have dropped my phone down the toilet. My phone turns itself on and also can not see the screen. Have left it in a tin of rice in the airing cupboard and will wait for a couple of days to see what it does.. but Im thinking it wont recover from this. What do I do?

Hi @jada1992

Unfortunately water damage is not covered by warranty, I take it you do not have insurance on the phone.

If you have home contents insurance it might be worth you checking your policy as some include mobile phones.

Your only other options are to send the phone into giffgaff, who will inspect the phone and send you an email with the cost to repair the phone.

Please NOTE: If you dont accept giffgaffs qoute you will be charged £15 and the phone returned in the same condition.

If the device you ordered on giffgaff.com becomes faulty and you are past the 30-day period described above then you are entitled to a repair during the warranty period offered by the manufacturer for in-warranty faults. Our new phones mostly come with a 24-month warranty, however some phones do come with 12-month warranty such as the Apple iPhone. Please refer to the manufacturer guidelines for their exact warranty information. Our refurbished phones come with a 12-month warranty and our pre-owned phones come with a 6-month warranty.

You can also send a phone purchased on giffgaff.com for repair if it is damaged, out of warranty or past its warranty period. When your phone is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty anymore, you will receive a quote for the repair and will have the choice to accept it or have your phone sent back to you.

If the repair is chargeable and you choose not to go ahead with it, we will ask you for a £15 return fee to send the device un-repaired. This fee covers the administration and postage costs.

Important - If we've provided you with a repair quote but you don't pay the return fee or the repair fee within 21 calendar days, we will take this to mean you don't want your device back, and we will recycle it.

Or you could take it to a local phone shop for repair.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/

If the phone can not be repaired you are stil liable to make the payments that are outstanding on the phone.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 20
by: endorphin
on: 08/08/2016 | 10:15

@jada1992 wrote:

Oh okay.. I wouldnt of thought that i could get it repaired to be honest.

You can request a repair using this form https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/repairs

Agents can take up to 24 hours, in the worst case, to reply. You will see when an agent has replied in the "Messages: From Agents" box which is half way down the right hand side of your "My Giffgaff" page or go here https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

However you will probably have to pay for it, sorry.

Good Luck!

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 10 of 20