Community

Weird message...

Started by: agathia
On: 16/10/2017 | 19:16
Replies: 28

Highlighted
by: agathia
on: 16/10/2017 | 19:16 edited: 16/10/2017 | 20:36

PSA were no help at all to me. Their reply stated that they could not identify the number I received, and unless I told them who had charged my phone they could not assist. I don't know who charged to my phone and Giff Gaffs advice is to ask them for help. I don't see any alternative to changing my SIM card. I am a very low user of my phone, most months don't make a single call, so don't want to be charged over and above my goody bag for scammers.

Message 1 of 29
by: tazzy19
on: 16/10/2017 | 19:22

@agathia

You have tagged on the end of a previously solved thread.

Have you tried sending a text to, the 5 digit number? You will require 10p airtime credit to do this.

There should also be a landline number included in the text. Which you can call from goodybag minutes.

Can you post the full message you received?

Message 2 of 29
by: mrsgrowler
on: 16/10/2017 | 22:23 edited: 16/10/2017 | 22:24

agathia wrote:

PSA were no help at all to me. Their reply stated that they could not identify the number I received, and unless I told them who had charged my phone they could not assist. I don't know who charged to my phone and Giff Gaffs advice is to ask them for help. I don't see any alternative to changing my SIM card. I am a very low user of my phone, most months don't make a single call, so don't want to be charged over and above my goody bag for scammers.

Hello @agathia

As it would appear that this post has been moved from another thread it is difficult to know what advice you were following so sorry if I'm going over old ground but here goes.

If you are being charged for a Premium Rate Service then you are responsible for getting them stopped.

Once you know who is making the charge you contact them to tell them to stop your subscription and ask for a refund of monies already paid.

There are various ways to find out who is charging you and this post tells you (as well as providing lots of other useful information about these kind of texts, how you might have got signed up to them and how to avoid them in the future) how to do this.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Premium-text-charges-do-s-And-don-t-s/m-p/18597940#M14...

You can use the PSA to help you if the company charging you is being difficult and you can report a company your feel has breached the rules.

https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/how-we-can-help

So either follow this advice and see if you can resolve the matter.

Or if you have already been down this route without success return here and explain exactly what you have done and what the result was so that we can see what more advic ewe can provide.

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 3 of 29
on: 23/10/2017 | 12:33
Sorry to tag on to a previous thread, have been all over the internet! Appreciate your bothering to reply. Received 30090007 PayForIT, at £3 a time, there is no body to the text. My demographic is, woman mid seventies, not on Facebook, doesn't download apps except bus app, doesn't use phone for any other activities except for receiving or making occasional phone call, therefore cannot begin to trace the origin of msg. I consider this cyber theft and should be tackled by giffgaff. I can see that this query has been brought up before on giffgaff, but unfortunately the only solution seems to be to change SIM.
Message 5 of 29
by: sloz
on: 23/10/2017 | 12:38
@agathia
Hi, so there's no information in the body of the text received from 30090007?

Could you have a look at your list of received texts to see if you can spot any from a 5 digit number or from a none standard mobile number

Could you have previously blocked the number on your phone?
Look at your blocked /spam /reject list to see if you can spot a none standard mobile number
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 29
on: 23/10/2017 | 16:25

Hi, no haven't blocked any numbers.

Definitely no text or message in the body.

Can't see any numbers I don't recognise on my phone, only one missed call on the 13/06/2017, which I hadn't noticed from 0843 656 3446, but don't know if this is significant or not. 

Can't find any 5 digit numbers.

Message 7 of 29
by: davidvarley
on: 23/10/2017 | 16:29
You do not need to change sim card you can just change your mobile number in your online account settings under call control.
Message 8 of 29
by: mrsgrowler
on: 23/10/2017 | 16:51

davidvarley wrote:

You do not need to change sim card you can just change your mobile number in your online account settings under call control.

The trouble with doing that @davidvarley is that if things like this don't actually get stopped and somebody just changes their number then it could just pass the problem onto the next person to get the number.

These things are dreadful and it is annoying (to say the least) that "innocent" people have to sort it out themselves but if they don't and / or  the regulator is not made aware of as many instances of them as possible then the situation will not get any better.

After all there are some decent companies out there who use these kind of things for legitimate  purposes and there are many people who actually want and so use hem.

It is only the dodgy guys who spoil it for everyone else and just saying "I'm all right jack I've just changed my number" let's them get away with it.

Sorry @agathia not saying you can't change your number just saying that although it might seem like a good idea it may not be in the long run.

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 9 of 29
on: 23/10/2017 | 19:17

Thanks for advice, and I understand what you are saying. My problem is that I KNOW that I haven't done any of the things suggested, so cannot imagine how I have got into this mess. I am being scammed £3 a time, today the latest, and I am being expected to solve a problem that isn't of my making. I am an old woman who just uses the phone as a phone, not a computer. I do message. I believe this is crime and I should be able to report it to some authority. The PSA have already been informed. That said, I haven't quite given up and if somebody can tell me how to solve it I would like to do so. Otherwise I will have no alternative except to change SIM. I appreciate anyone's opinion, it is helpful to see the whole picture. 

Message 10 of 29