Knowledge Base
Community

Why is my 3G coverage so weak in major cities?

Started by: samiam88
On: 22/06/2014 | 01:28
Replies: 14

Go to best answer
by: psl184
on: 22/06/2014 | 17:18
It's all down to allocation of bandwith. giffgaff, Tesco and Lycamobile all run data service on O2 network and it really isn't good enough at the mo to cope.
O2 are improving the network but it's not due for completion until 2017 so it could be a long wait in some areas.
Get a free giffgaff Sim

All my replies are personal - I will never copy / paste irrelevant info.
Message 11 of 15
by: greenfrogman
on: 22/06/2014 | 17:26
@psl184

incorrect your talking about 4g mast upgrades, not mast/network related

this slow data only affects Giffgaff (o2, lycamobile and Tescomobile operate normally where mast congestion is not around )

Please mark the correct answer so users can find them later on

Message 12 of 15
by: psl184
on: 22/06/2014 | 18:55

@greenfrogman wrote:
@psl184

this slow data only affects Giffgaff (o2, lycamobile and Tescomobile operate normally where mast congestion is not around )

You are wrong my friend. O2 has made a comittment to OFCOM (part of the 4G spectrum allocation deal) to provide 3G to 98% of the population at at least 2mbps by the end of 2017. So all the services including 2G & 3G will be improved.

Any network, including giffgaff, will operate fine where no mast congestion (say at like 2.00am in the morning), but giffgaff's current issue is the amount of available bandwidth.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

All my replies are personal - I will never copy / paste irrelevant info.
Message 13 of 15
by: greenfrogman
on: 22/06/2014 | 19:38 edited: 22/06/2014 | 19:43

@psl184 wrote:

@greenfrogman wrote:
@psl184

You are wrong my friend. O2 has made a commitment to OFCOM (part of the 4G spectrum allocation deal) to provide 3G to 98% of the population at at least 2mbps by the end of 2017. So all the services including 2G & 3G will be improved.

Any network, including giffgaff, will operate fine where no mast congestion (say at like 2.00am in the morning), but giffgaff's current issue is the amount of available bandwidth.

@psl184

your talking about the network upgrade (that has nothing to do with the issue with giffgaff, unless your local mast is really high congestion on it) 

the Current Problem is with the Amount of bandwidth that Giffgaff have PAID FOR, its Not mast congestion

there are no congestion issues with masts where i am all of them generally do 4-8mb/s in the day time as long as i am Not on giffgaff (o2 phone works normally in town center, with giffgaff data some times does not work in the same location)m this is affecting a large amount of other giffgaff members randomly

GIffgaff have already admitted its their issue so why try dispute it when giffgaff have officially stated its there issue (they are running their Bandwidth they are paying for at Very high utilization  

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/News-Announcements/Data-Experience-Discussion/td-p/12877838

they are in the process of resolving the issue

Please mark the correct answer so users can find them later on

Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
by: sullyman524
on: 22/06/2014 | 19:41

Could be due to the amount of people using the network 

Have I helped? If yes, please give me KUDOS, this is to the left of the post underneath my name.If I have solved your problem or answered your question, please click accept as solution on my post
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 15