Knowledge Base
Community

Why is my 3G coverage so weak in major cities?

Started by: samiam88
On: 22/06/2014 | 01:28
Replies: 14

Go to best answer
by: samiam88
on: 22/06/2014 | 01:28

Hi all,

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S3 for 18 months now and have used Giff Gaff for the whole of that time. When I first got the phone and set everything up (with the instructions I found on here, so thanks to those who provided the info!) the internet reception was fine when roaming about, be it in my city (Cambridge) and around other towns and cities.

Though the past 3-4 months I have struggled to do anything via the internet when I can't connect to a WiFi spot. I've rebooted the phone, made all the changes to the settings and even checked the areas I work in for 3G coverage (which were all fine), yet my phone struggles to send a message via Whatsapp, Facebook message or even a Tweet!

Is it the Samsung phone that's trying to tell me to upgrade as it's slowly starting to stall when using apps that need access to the internet or should I simply change provider and go with one that ensures I have a better coverage?

Please refer me to the best that you can, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys & girls!

Message 1 of 15
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: yahiroz
on: 22/06/2014 | 02:22

Considering the problem only started a couple of months ago, your problem is related to this: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/News-Announcements/Congestion-Management-Launch/td-p/13059998

Basically, due to a small number of users with unusually high data usage, this is straining giffgaff's servers, and as a result, is causing a slowdown on everyone else. giffgaff has implemented traffic management on these users but it may be a while before we see the benefits of it, as well as normal mobile speeds.

HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.3
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4
Message 3 of 15
by: why_bother
on: 22/06/2014 | 01:34
I doubt its a phone problem, if anything you could try a factory reset, that might improve things, Samsung phones, the higher end ones at least, are extremely reliable in my experience

giffgaff have been recently working on improving the network speeds however it doesn't appear to have done you much good

when using mobile data what do you see in the signal bar at the top?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 15
by: yahiroz
on: 22/06/2014 | 02:22

Considering the problem only started a couple of months ago, your problem is related to this: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/News-Announcements/Congestion-Management-Launch/td-p/13059998

Basically, due to a small number of users with unusually high data usage, this is straining giffgaff's servers, and as a result, is causing a slowdown on everyone else. giffgaff has implemented traffic management on these users but it may be a while before we see the benefits of it, as well as normal mobile speeds.

HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.3
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4
Message 3 of 15
by: greenfrogman
on: 22/06/2014 | 04:18
@samiam88

the above info is mostly correct

traffic management is not in use yet( it needs to be enabled ) , they are just blocking very high data users (generally above 15gb it seems) them from buying a unlimited "mobile data" goodybag when there active one expires

Please mark the correct answer so users can find them later on

Message 4 of 15
by: djmaccaofficial
on: 22/06/2014 | 06:25
It's the network it's been crawling for months but people on here won't tell you this .. I moved to three much better far faster signal .. and 4g is no extra cost I'm still on pay&go and get 300 mins 3000 txt and all u can eat 3or4g data for £15 a month ... My speeds with giffcrap averaged 0.5mb I'm currently getting 7-10mb .. says it all really
Message 5 of 15
by: lynnie_
on: 22/06/2014 | 08:23
Well coverage is whats on the news even the pm struggles in downing st.
Message 6 of 15
on: 22/06/2014 | 16:47
All I get is H+ even after rebooting it again.
Message 7 of 15
on: 22/06/2014 | 16:48

Thank you! I really appreciate all the answers!

Might just have to find another network as I rely on being online for both work and socially.

Thanks all! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
by: rosebloom
on: 22/06/2014 | 16:50
Gg network as been running slow for months now the agents know about it but they haven't done anythink about it yet
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 15
by: greenfrogman
on: 22/06/2014 | 17:00
I should add the topic starter started poor 3g coverage, when it's poor 3g speed in good 3g coverage

they are currently working on resoving the issue with speed (probably going to take about 1-4 months before it improves, as the wheels turn slowly at giffgaff)

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/News-Announcements/Data-Experience-Discussion/td-p/12877838

Please mark the correct answer so users can find them later on

Message 10 of 15