Community

apple ipad mini 4

Started by: fifi024
On: 12/07/2019 | 05:04
Replies: 7

Go to best answer
by: fifi024
on: 12/07/2019 | 05:04

hi,pulling my hair out here,put giffgaff sim with £20 goodybag on it in apple ipad mini 4 and despite my best efforts - nothing,no phone calls,messages or data.the ipad says unlocked and comes up with o2 logo etc and ive typed in the apn etc,but nothing.any help greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: persco
on: 12/07/2019 | 07:28

@fifi024wrote:

resetnetwork dettings,i can now access mobile data,but still unable to make calls or texts on cellular network,i.e - giffgaff

Hi @fifi024 As far as am aware you cannot natively make cellular telephone voice calls or SMS/receive SMS texts. iPads are cellular data devices only and those services require a cellular voice connection

I stand corrected but natively, all iPads are and always have been limited to VOIP services like FaceTime or Skype, and internet messaging only, such as Apple's iMessage service.

A wifi+ceullar iPad can connect to the internet via a wifi connection or a cellular service data connection like you’ve managed to establish now (but cannot connect to any cellular telephone service's voice channel).

If you use an iphone as well, you can conmect the iPad with it to use the iPhone's cellular calling and cellular texting features.

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 8
on: 12/07/2019 | 05:10

@fifi024wrote:

hi,pulling my hair out here,put giffgaff sim with £20 goodybag on it in apple ipad mini 4 and despite my best efforts - nothing,no phone calls,messages or data.the ipad says unlocked and comes up with o2 logo etc and ive typed in the apn etc,but nothing.any help greatly appreciated.

Hi @fifi024 Do you have another unlocked or locked to o2 device/phone preferably to try the sim in it to see if you can make and receive calls and texts from it and even data first to make sure Sim is working fine? Try that. 

If you don’t, Go To;

Settings~General~Reset~Reset network settings then pressing

This will cause the iPad to restart automatically. This refreshes your settings. 

Or plug in your iDevice to your computer to connect to iTunes (make sure iTunes is up to date) to install the carrier profile.

You can also add the settings manually after refreshing the network settings. 

Just follow link below for your iPads settings. 

Or

Let us know how you get on and if we can help further 
Message 2 of 8
on: 12/07/2019 | 05:45
yes the sim works fine in another phone.
Message 3 of 8
on: 12/07/2019 | 05:53

@fifi024wrote:

yes the sim works fine in another phone.

Good. Carry out rest of advice by resetting network settings first @fifi024 

Message 4 of 8
on: 12/07/2019 | 07:00
resetnetwork dettings,i can now access mobile data,but still unable to make calls or texts on cellular network,i.e - giffgaff
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
on: 12/07/2019 | 07:28

@fifi024wrote:

Hi @fifi024 As far as am aware you cannot natively make cellular telephone voice calls or SMS/receive SMS texts. iPads are cellular data devices only and those services require a cellular voice connection

I stand corrected but natively, all iPads are and always have been limited to VOIP services like FaceTime or Skype, and internet messaging only, such as Apple's iMessage service.

A wifi+ceullar iPad can connect to the internet via a wifi connection or a cellular service data connection like you’ve managed to establish now (but cannot connect to any cellular telephone service's voice channel).

If you use an iphone as well, you can conmect the iPad with it to use the iPhone's cellular calling and cellular texting features.

Message 6 of 8
on: 12/07/2019 | 08:27
persco,youve made my day with youre explanation,id been dicking about with this ipad mini for that long,convinced i was doing something wrong,its sent me dolally lol,but on a lighter note,its been an endless source of entertainment for my girlfreind at my pathetic endevours. i think its fair to say though,that most ppl who see a product advertised as wifi + cellular,- i.e taking a sim card,like me,would automaticaly presume it was just like a normal phone,allowing calls and texts.
Message 7 of 8
on: 12/07/2019 | 11:41

Glad to have helped @fifi024 And you are right on the cellular assumption. 

Message 8 of 8