Community

changeing from microsoft to android

Started by: roknight
On: 03/12/2018 | 14:43
Replies: 8

Go to best answer
by: roknight
on: 03/12/2018 | 14:43

I have 2 windows phones.. I have just bought 2 nokia 6.1 plus android phones and want to start them up.

I cannot find any simple overview articles that cover this subject and can find no way that the website can seem to help me, contact an agent I cant seem to make work. So I am   in extremis asking this question here in the forlorn hope of getting some non techie intelligent advise on what to do. I am a dyslexic so I need a well written article that I can print and follow...

I have 2 giffgaaff accounts, I appreciate that there are lots of microsoft apps for android to help, I think the working giffgaff sim cards I have are the correct size. 

Message 1 of 9
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: k89bpa
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:07
Use the SIM tool to swap SIM cards into the new phones. Charge up the new phones and then press the power button to switch them on.

Follow the on-screen prompts.

Enter your Gmail or Google account when asked to do so, (if you don't have one, create one, you'll need it to access the app store.

Swipe one finger down from the top of the screen, tap the cog icon, scroll all the way to the bottom, tap system and then system updates. Follow the process through until the phone restarts.

Repeat that last step until you get a message that you're all up to date, (best leave the phones plugged in whilst you're doing this).

When that's done, find the icon labelled play store, tap it and then tap the search icons, type Microsoft and then install the apps that you want.

To add your contacts and calendars is a little more difficult, the easiest way would be to export them from your Hotmail/Outlook account and import them into GMail, or you can buy the Nine mail app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3 ), which will do so and is recommended over on the Microsoft to Android forums.

I don't have a Microsoft account to be able to walk you through the steps of exporting your data from Microsoft but if you Google it there should be plenty of tutorials available.

Once that's all done, just enjoy using your new devices and any probkems, post back and either myself or someone else will try to help you.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
by: k89bpa
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:07
Use the SIM tool to swap SIM cards into the new phones. Charge up the new phones and then press the power button to switch them on.

Follow the on-screen prompts.

Enter your Gmail or Google account when asked to do so, (if you don't have one, create one, you'll need it to access the app store.

Swipe one finger down from the top of the screen, tap the cog icon, scroll all the way to the bottom, tap system and then system updates. Follow the process through until the phone restarts.

Repeat that last step until you get a message that you're all up to date, (best leave the phones plugged in whilst you're doing this).

When that's done, find the icon labelled play store, tap it and then tap the search icons, type Microsoft and then install the apps that you want.

To add your contacts and calendars is a little more difficult, the easiest way would be to export them from your Hotmail/Outlook account and import them into GMail, or you can buy the Nine mail app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3 ), which will do so and is recommended over on the Microsoft to Android forums.

I don't have a Microsoft account to be able to walk you through the steps of exporting your data from Microsoft but if you Google it there should be plenty of tutorials available.

Once that's all done, just enjoy using your new devices and any probkems, post back and either myself or someone else will try to help you.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 2 of 9
on: 03/12/2018 | 16:34
many thanks for such a quick response, assume you to mean I should use my existing working giff gaff sim cards, and that this should retain my tel nos?
I have some new sim cardss to perform a sim swap in case this not the case.
if so, I could then at any stage later on be able swop the sim cards back to old phones to complete any final house keeping to clean up the old phones and ensure all is completely transferred across etc ?
Message 3 of 9
by: nigelbrooks
on: 03/12/2018 | 16:38

@roknight

If the SIM sizes in the new phones are the same as your old Windows phones you can simply move them from one to the other.

If the new phones take a smaller SIM then most giffgaff SIMs have a pop-out section to accommodate this. If they take larger SIMs then any mobile shop will sell you a SIM adaptor for around £1.50

Shame about Windows phones, I quite like them but support is ending next year and you don't want to get stuck on an unsupported platfor.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 4 of 9
by: ghasimr
on: 03/12/2018 | 16:40
Hello

I think the SIM require is nano so take the sim out of your windows phone and push SIM in middle to make them smaller. If the SIM is not correct then Do a SIM swap.

Hope this help.

Message 5 of 9
on: 04/12/2018 | 09:16
Thankyou helpful yes all same size. Agree shame about windows phone but we have to respond to the actions of others.
Message 6 of 9
by: sheppola
on: 04/12/2018 | 10:34

@roknight

@roknight wrote:

Thankyou helpful yes all same size. Agree shame about windows phone but we have to respond to the actions of others.

I find videos on Youtube are a great way of settiing up phones and transferring stuff across,

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=transfer+windows+phone+to+android

and for the GiffGaff Nework settings if you need them,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvZGjt9okzU&t=66s

HTH Smiley Happy

If this post helped please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 7 of 9
on: 04/12/2018 | 11:31
Thankyou this 70+ yr old not aware that all of this available on youtube. Thanks for sharing such a useful and simple thing. Am now half way through starting up new phone. The journey has begun.
Message 8 of 9
by: sheppola
on: 04/12/2018 | 11:34 edited: 04/12/2018 | 11:35

@roknight

@roknight wrote:

Thankyou this 70+ yr old not aware that all of this available on youtube. Thanks for sharing such a useful and simple thing. Am now half way through starting up new phone. The journey has begun.

I've used YT videos for all sorts of things.If you/me have thought of it someone has usually made a video on how to fix it or do it  Smiley Happy

Although I've built my own PCs for years I've used YT to repair my Laptops and even my phones ;-)

This is a definite case of,"A picture is worth a thousand words" Smiley Very Happy

If this post helped please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 9 of 9