Community

fare usage policy violation

Started by: richfolio
On: 17/08/2018 | 14:47
Replies: 11

Go to best answer
by: richfolio
on: 17/08/2018 | 14:47

I have the £25 unlimited bundle. I am a heavy user as I can only recieve 2MB broadband where I live (4G is much faster). Before the jump from £20 to £25 a month the network automatically limited my speed during the day. I've noticed this has stopped and as a result I have recieved a text telling me I'm abusing the fare useage policy.

The text advised me to reduce my data useage through various means but I don't feel any of them will reduce my usage to the extent that it has been suggested I need (it's all very vague). 

I'm happy reducing my speed my end as android will allow me to adjust it but I don't know if I need to apply this to the 'midnight till 8 am' unrestricted speed thing that was there when I started with Giffgaff?

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know what triggered the warning text? Does this text apply to all my usage 24/7? If reducing the speed my end what should it be?

Message 1 of 12
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: greenfrogman
on: 20/08/2018 | 19:42 edited: 20/08/2018 | 19:51

@richfolio

Unfortunately they don't have any abuse policies in the terms and conditions or in the traffic flow page (you get a only one time ultimatum email to reduce using data and then the second email is a ban for 93 days which it states in the email)

I currently do not know what the hidden abuse policy is on the new always on data, but some people on here have reporting over 100 GB of data used and they're only getting automatic warning emails but the issue is the banning system hasn't been working between July and August the 12th so that may change over the next coming months

but it does look like they Might not be including midnight to 8 a.m but not certain show on the plan to 43430 thought) 

If you have not been banned from Rebuying it just lower your data usage ( 5gb a day is about 150gb over 30 days is quite a lot if its 5gb a day) what does your Text PLAN to 43430 say you used

You might have to back off using data for a bit to get your usage down 8

Please mark the correct answer so users can find them later on

Message 7 of 12
by: giffgaff_ninja
on: 17/08/2018 | 14:51
Hi @richfolio
This text/email warning has been reported by several members and service thread has been opened here https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates/Issue-with-the-25-Always-On-Goodybag-Warning-Barri...
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 12
by: zainabi
on: 17/08/2018 | 14:52
There is an issue reported about this, i hope it gets sorted soon.
Smiley HappySmiley Happy FREE SIMSmiley HappySmiley Happy
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 12
on: 17/08/2018 | 18:37 edited: 17/08/2018 | 18:38

@richfolio

Data used between midnight and 8 a.m. is counted towards the 30 day hidden abuse limit ( unknown at the moment)

Can you text PLAN to 43430 (it's free if ore the charge warning) as this tell you what you used

Can you post it in here how much data has been used ( if you can can you state what last 3 months you have used from here each month https://giffgaff.com/profile/usage-statement )

I am trying to work out what the new hidden limit is to better inform members

Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
on: 20/08/2018 | 19:26
I do on occasion use my whole 20GB within a day (mostly during the Midnight to 8 am period when updating software and transferring files etc) last month I averaged 5 GB per day although as stated this was mainly over night.

I was completely unaware that there was any limitations to this? Where is it written?
Message 5 of 12
on: 20/08/2018 | 19:29
FYI I mean the 30 day hidden abuse limit
Message 6 of 12
on: 20/08/2018 | 19:42 edited: 20/08/2018 | 19:51

@richfolio

Unfortunately they don't have any abuse policies in the terms and conditions or in the traffic flow page (you get a only one time ultimatum email to reduce using data and then the second email is a ban for 93 days which it states in the email)

I currently do not know what the hidden abuse policy is on the new always on data, but some people on here have reporting over 100 GB of data used and they're only getting automatic warning emails but the issue is the banning system hasn't been working between July and August the 12th so that may change over the next coming months

but it does look like they Might not be including midnight to 8 a.m but not certain show on the plan to 43430 thought) 

If you have not been banned from Rebuying it just lower your data usage ( 5gb a day is about 150gb over 30 days is quite a lot if its 5gb a day) what does your Text PLAN to 43430 say you used

You might have to back off using data for a bit to get your usage down 8

Message 7 of 12
on: 20/08/2018 | 20:02
I can try and reduce my usage to under 100GB a month but my autistic side is telling me that this information needs to be published. I don't like working in the dark! Without clear outlines or structures I don't know how or why I can be banned?
Message 8 of 12
on: 20/08/2018 | 20:03
Thanks for your response greenfrogman
Message 9 of 12
on: 20/08/2018 | 20:29 edited: 20/08/2018 | 20:31

@richfolio

The situation looks a little better than it was when it was on the £20 old not so always on goodybag as that one had a 13 to 14 GB 93 day hidden ban limit and unfortunately that was based over past 30 days( not per goodybag) the amount of people that were been banned on the Old not so always on data was incredibly high

I'm unsure what the hidden abuse policy is on the new almost always on data goodybag ( see how I changed it from "not" always on (old £20) to "almost" always on (new £25) as it may be they are actually now only banning people that are using very large amount of data, I mean even I only use 100 gig on Three UK ( but at full speed) witch I think is a lot my self

You can use a program called 3g watchdog and set it to show past 30 day usage (needs to be running for 30 days to get that info from your usage)

I'm not sure why giffgaff does not have a abuse traffic shaping policy so if they think you're using too much data they should just slow you down to the point where you can't stream video (say 256kbs)

Message 10 of 12