Knowledge Base
Community

help me, someone is using my mobile number and I can't

Started by: mathlete76
On: 25/04/2019 | 21:08
Replies: 19

by: mathlete76
on: 25/04/2019 | 22:51

Does anyone know when the agents finish for the night? I'm in limbo here. hacker still has access to my account as he has the email and password, so he could still take thge number back when sim swap goes live again in the morning. At that point he can undo all the password changes I've just made by using the number to get back up codes again.

I need his email and password removed from my giffgaff urgently.

Message 11 of 20
by: alexmgg2
on: 25/04/2019 | 23:35

@mathlete76wrote:

Does anyone know when the agents finish for the night? I'm in limbo here. hacker still has access to my account as he has the email and password, so he could still take thge number back when sim swap goes live again in the morning. At that point he can undo all the password changes I've just made by using the number to get back up codes again.

I need his email and password removed from my giffgaff urgently.

Agents finish at 11pm.

As long as your address is showing on your Profile & Settingspage, you can report your SIM lost or stolen.  This will put a freeze on your account and stop any other SIM swaps being done until you activate the new SIM sent to your address.

Check it here:

https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#address

Then, as long as it still shows your correct address, report your SIM stolen here:

https://giffgaff.com/support/lost

Make sure you choose Bar my SIM only, or you'll have more trouble when it's finally sorted out.

Good luck!

If someones answer has helped you solve your problem, please consider setting it as Best answer, or leaving them Kudos points. Thanks!
Message 12 of 20
on: 26/04/2019 | 01:13
I'm no longer able to access those parts of my account. I assume that my cookies have run out. I'll now have no way to block my sim and if if gets taken over again then security on any other accounts means nothing as almost everywhere will be happy to text a back up code to bypass passwords I've spent all night resetting.
Message 13 of 20
by: jaymailsays
on: 26/04/2019 | 03:15

@mathlete76 Assuming you PM d Guy, the block would have been placed by agents to protect your account.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 14 of 20
Highlighted
by: wagstaffej
on: 26/04/2019 | 06:14 edited: 26/04/2019 | 06:23

@mathlete76 

If you currently have your number you can get the giffgaff account password reset by text, see here 

https://giffgaff.com/support/lost-password

As soon as you have, log in and change your email address.

P.s. I'm not sure if it will work while the agents have "frozen" parts of your account but it still might be useful to know.

Message 15 of 20
by: krissydawg
on: 26/04/2019 | 07:49
Thanks @wagstaffej. The number is now call barred and isn't receiving texts either. I'm hoping that as it doesn't have the same error message as yesterday about not being registered that this means it's giffgaff sorting things out for me.

I'm also unable to log in to giffgaff now and my cookies have run out overnight so I've had to log in on my daughters account until I hear from them to reset my access.
Message 16 of 20
by: krissydawg
on: 26/04/2019 | 10:30 edited: 26/04/2019 | 10:31

edit

Message 17 of 20
by: guy_ow
community giff-staffer

on: 26/04/2019 | 17:56
@mathlete76 and @krissydawg

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Have you been able to get things sorted along with the help of the agents now?

Cheers
Guy

giffgaff Educator

Message 18 of 20
on: 26/04/2019 | 19:36
Guy, many thanks for your help. The agents did indeed lock down my account until it could get sorted out. I now have my number back, access to my giffgaff account online, and all of my other accounts that the hacker used my phone to bypass security measures on.

just 15 minutes ago I received an email showing someone is trying once again to reset my giffgaff password. I assume the same person.

It would make me way more comfortable if 2FA was an option for logging in to giffgaff.
Message 19 of 20
by: guy_ow
community giff-staffer

on: 26/04/2019 | 19:42
@mathlete76 - great to hear you now have access back, glad it got sorted.

Ah right ok, I'll drop you a reply to your PM now to discuss that email. Thanks for letting me know.

Guy

giffgaff Educator

Message 20 of 20