Knowledge Base
Community

help me, someone is using my mobile number and I can't

Started by: mathlete76
On: 25/04/2019 | 21:08
Replies: 19

by: mathlete76
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:08

Looking for urgent help whilst I wait for agent to get back to me.

Earlier on my phone suddenlyt said that my SIM is not provisioned for voice. Since then someon has used my number to change my facebook password and messaged friends with a request for cash. I came to my giffgaff account and must have got there before the hacker has but I can see that they've changed my contact email, and apssword. So I can't log out or I'll be locked out of my own account, but I can't get helkp either as they've changed the email and have access to my phone number.

Message 1 of 20
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:09

Earlier on my phone suddenlyt said that my SIM is not provisioned for voice. Since then someon has used my number to change my facebook password and messaged friends with a request for cash. I came to my giffgaff account and must have got there before the hacker has but I can see that they've changed my contact email, and apssword. So I can't log out or I'll be locked out of my own account, but I can't get helkp either as they've changed the email and have access to my phone number.

Message 2 of 20
by: jfc1951
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:14

@mathlete76wrote:

As you are currently logged in to your account @mathlete76  change your password and the email address associated with your account.

Contact your bank and warn of potential fraudelent transactions.

The following tag will alert giffgaff @report_phishing 

Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.  -  Homer Simpson

Message 3 of 20
by: natty88
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:16

@mathlete76  did you receive a text about SIM swap or number transfer  and clicked the linked to give your details if yes please follow this guide 

DO NOT CLICK LINK OR GIVE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION IT'S SCAM TO GET YOUR BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS 

please follow all steps here 

spam text/misuse list of things to do 

forward the complete message to 7726 this will not be charged to send 

Change the password to your giffgaff account - 

https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#passwd

Change your email associated to your giffgaff account -

https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#email

Let us know about the account compromise via the agents on this link -

https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Account-misuse/Account-Misuse/form/

Alert your bank for possible unauthorised account debits and to change text alerts messages

Change passwords/emails on any other accounts outside of giffgaff that might have the same login information

Let us know if you have received a text about SIM swap  

@report_phishing 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 20
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:16
I can't, to change the password I need to know the old one. Someone has changed it already so i don't know what to? I've tried changing the email address and it just stays the same
Message 5 of 20
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:18
I didn't receive any text about sim swap, I haven't given out details. I have tried to sim swap since then to regain control of the number but the new sim says not registered on network.
Message 6 of 20
by: mangowalk
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:21
So sorry to hear that
while you have access to the account can you
*Alert your bank so they can watch out for unauthorised account debits (if you had your debit or credit card saved on the account)
*Change passwords/emails on any other accounts other than giffgaff that might have the same login information
Can you access the account using a laptop or other device than your phone to make the above changes to account?
Message 7 of 20
by: guy_ow
community giff-staffer

on: 25/04/2019 | 21:23
@mathlete76

Guy here from the community team. Sorry to hear what has happened to your account. Given that you haven't received a smishing text message, I will send you a PM asking for some further details, which you'll be able to find here: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

If you can get back to me as soon as possible that would be great.

Cheers
Guy

giffgaff Educator

Message 8 of 20
by: natty88
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:24

@mathlete76  a sim swap usually takes around 30mins to complete try restarting phone again and see if can call any of these numbers 43430 top up line or 443 voicemail number. DO they work 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 20
on: 25/04/2019 | 21:44
OK, thank you for that. The number is back with me on this SIM now after restarting phone. I need to get the email and password on account changed back now though.

In the meantime I've blocked my bank cards as the hacker gained access to my paypal
Message 10 of 20