Community

inconvenient scam

Started by: cuban_knight
On: 23/08/2017 | 19:37
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: cuban_knight
on: 23/08/2017 | 19:37

FYI, My partner purchased a 10 voucher from the shop and activated it yesterday. Be warned Giffgaff charges your credit allowance before you have a chance to purchase one of the goodybags.  How is it that i have 9.99 from 10 pounds and i havent used the phone or been able to purchase the goodybag. This is such an inconvenience and although i like the idea of how giffgaff works, a newbie who wants to use this service as a temporary means while on holiday in england i can't help but feel i new customers will be ripped off or scammed to pay more money.

Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: bertiebat
on: 23/08/2017 | 20:09

cuban_knight wrote:

Thanks! I intended to leave this as feedback for those who are not uk residents like myself who are looking for an option to have a mobile service. My partner who bought this for me had the same issue apart from he paid more for his. this has been resolved on his part but not on mine. For those who don't know better,could end up paying more money and not getting what they are entitled too. 1p glitch?? Honestly, there shouldn't be such thing. If I pay for something I would like exactly what I pay for. I appreciate the help but I still feel it is valid to provide real and honest feedback. I appreciate you getting in touch! Smiley Happy

Hi @cuban_knight the problem is almost certainly that a small charge was made for data access between the voucher being applied but before the goodybag purchase was actually delivered.  It's best to ensure that data is turned off on the phone until the goodybag has been delivered to stop this happening or use the 43430 top up line which applies the voucher and goodybag at the same time (though this isn't available on activations yet)

The 1p glitch which is referred to here is actually quite rare and only applies to card purchases where more often than not it actually adds 1p to the account.  

An agent will usually add a small amount of credit anyway to allow for goodybag purchases even if the error it was an inadvertant use of a small amount of data, if you use this link https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/incorrect_balance

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 6
by: lynda1962
on: 23/08/2017 | 19:43

@cuban_knight, hi there,  it's the 1p glitch, contact an agent as they are the only ones that can deal with your account they will refund you the 1p so you can buy your goodybag. 

https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/incorrect_balance
Agents can take upto 24 hours to reply but are normally quite quick.
https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

Message 2 of 6
by: freedmaniac
on: 23/08/2017 | 19:46

@cuban_knight

It is most probably as @lynda1962 says.

Another possibility is that your background apps started eating data before you purchased the goodybag.

Whichever is the true answer, you have definitely not been scammed; GG agents will refund the odd penny if it is a system glitch (they probably will refund it even if it isn't their system glitch!). Just play nice with them!

Message 3 of 6
by: cuban_knight
on: 23/08/2017 | 19:53
Thanks! I intended to leave this as feedback for those who are not uk residents like myself who are looking for an option to have a mobile service. My partner who bought this for me had the same issue apart from he paid more for his. this has been resolved on his part but not on mine. For those who don't know better,could end up paying more money and not getting what they are entitled too. 1p glitch?? Honestly, there shouldn't be such thing. If I pay for something I would like exactly what I pay for. I appreciate the help but I still feel it is valid to provide real and honest feedback. I appreciate you getting in touch! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
by: bertiebat
on: 23/08/2017 | 20:09

cuban_knight wrote:

Hi @cuban_knight the problem is almost certainly that a small charge was made for data access between the voucher being applied but before the goodybag purchase was actually delivered.  It's best to ensure that data is turned off on the phone until the goodybag has been delivered to stop this happening or use the 43430 top up line which applies the voucher and goodybag at the same time (though this isn't available on activations yet)

The 1p glitch which is referred to here is actually quite rare and only applies to card purchases where more often than not it actually adds 1p to the account.  

An agent will usually add a small amount of credit anyway to allow for goodybag purchases even if the error it was an inadvertant use of a small amount of data, if you use this link https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/incorrect_balance

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 6
by: germansheppard234
on: 23/08/2017 | 20:25 edited: 23/08/2017 | 20:33

@cuban_knight. Hi there is no glitch its just a term that gets used 

Sorry u r upset but any network if u add credit if u dont  turn your apps and data off modern phones will use your credit till u buy goodybag , if u top up by voucher u can at same time buy a goodybag to stop this happening , dial 43430 and press option 2 to chose and buy goodybag , 

agents for newcomers who do not understand this will add missing credit so u can buy goodybag , 

If u want to buy online and only have credit use wifi till u got goodybag , 

https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/incorrect_balance  
Agents can take upto 24 hours to reply but are normally quite quick.
https://giffgaff.com/support/question

sorry u had this problem 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 6