Knowledge Base
Community

king_george has a question about Your giffgaff phone number will expire in 5 days

Started by: king_george
On: 01/04/2018 | 20:27
Replies: 4

Go to best answer
by: king_george
on: 01/04/2018 | 20:27
RE: Your giffgaff phone number will expire in 5 days. Hi, I'm living abroad and therefore not using my UK number regularly but want to keep my number. I just received an email saying I have 5 days to top up or my number will expire ( a bit of a shock!). I last made a payment on 29-Jun-2017 but want to know : is there a specific time between payments before I lose my number? Why don't I get more than 5 days notice? And is there a way to keep this number indefinitely?
Message 1 of 5
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: sneaky007
on: 01/04/2018 | 20:29
Hi @king_george

To keep a giffgaff sim active you'll need to do at least one of the following once every six months:

a) make at least one call, SMS or MMS to another number (not including calls to emergency services )
b) make at least one connection to the Internet
c) make at least one airtime credit or goodybag purchase

For more details check out this https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Recycling-mobile-numbers-giffgaff/ba-p/8211666#!/8211666?utm_... link
GET A FREE SIM WITH £5 AIRTIME CREDIT
Message 2 of 5
by: sneaky007
on: 01/04/2018 | 20:29
Hi @king_george

To keep a giffgaff sim active you'll need to do at least one of the following once every six months:

a) make at least one call, SMS or MMS to another number (not including calls to emergency services )
b) make at least one connection to the Internet
c) make at least one airtime credit or goodybag purchase

For more details check out this https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Recycling-mobile-numbers-giffgaff/ba-p/8211666#!/8211666?utm_... link
GET A FREE SIM WITH £5 AIRTIME CREDIT
Message 2 of 5
by: jfc1951
on: 01/04/2018 | 20:30

king_george wrote:

RE: Your giffgaff phone number will expire in 5 days. Hi, I'm living abroad and therefore not using my UK number regularly but want to keep my number. I just received an email saying I have 5 days to top up or my number will expire ( a bit of a shock!). I last made a payment on 29-Jun-2017 but want to know : is there a specific time between payments before I lose my number? Why don't I get more than 5 days notice? And is there a way to keep this number indefinitely?

Hi @king_george to keep a number/SIM active you must, at least once every six months,

Make a chargeable call or text

Or use data

Or top-up.

Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.  -  Homer Simpson

Message 3 of 5
by: king_george
on: 01/04/2018 | 20:43
Thanks for this info, very helpful. According to the link above, I should have received an email 1 month ago but only received one today, stating 5 days notice.

How can I know they will give at least 1 months notice next time?
Message 4 of 5
by: jfc1951
on: 01/04/2018 | 20:55

king_george wrote:

Thanks for this info, very helpful. According to the link above, I should have received an email 1 month ago but only received one today, stating 5 days notice.

How can I know they will give at least 1 months notice next time?

I don't think there is any way that you can know that you'll get a months warning @king_george 

Best set a calendar reminder.

Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.  -  Homer Simpson

Message 5 of 5