Community

mms size

Started by: lelpep
On: 17/01/2014 | 01:45
Replies: 9

Go to best answer
by: lelpep
on: 17/01/2014 | 01:45
my mms messages seem to take a long time to send, sometimes refusing even to go.
I have plenty of credit, and not on goody bag.
Is there a size limit on photos sent?
Message 1 of 10
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: rayhoo
on: 17/01/2014 | 02:40

@lelpep wrote:
my mms messages seem to take a long time to send, sometimes refusing even to go.

How MMS works:

•  MMS pricing is not location dependent so the charges are the same wherever in the world either phone may be.

•  Wherever you may be, sending a picture message (MMS) to any UK mobile number (wherever in the world it may be) (max 300KB) costs 16p/msg.

•  Sending to a non UK registered number costs 24p/msg.

•  Receiving a picture message is totally free wherever you are.

•  Note:  Data must be enabled to use MMS but no extra data charge is made for using MMS.

•  Remember that MMS is not included in any goodybags.  Sending MMS will be charged from your airtime balance.   Dial *100# to check.

•  If you have wifi, (iphone 3 in particular)      Disable to use MMS.

•  Ensure that MMS is                   Enabled.

•  Ensure that Data is                    Enabled.

•  Ensure that Auto Retrieve is  Enabled. 

•  As data needs to be enabled for MMS to work, then make sure that your phone has been set up the way you want it, as any background applications running, email searches or Syncs will incur charges of their own (which have nothing to do with using MMS).  As data charges outside the UK can be quite high, it's worth making these checks.

•  If you're having problems connecting, then check your settings here:

•  Manually:Text 'Settings' to 2020 - and you'll receive a text message back with the data and MMS settings. 

•  You may receive a text that says: "If you'd like to use WAP or MMS on this phone you'll need to manually enter a few settings".

•  You'll find the settings for your handset in the Knowledge Base here http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Settings-for-your-device/tkb-p/phone_settings

•  For some non-smart phones, you may also need to go to:

•  MESSAGING:

•  SETTINGS:

•  MEDIA MESSAGING:

•  and MMS ACCOUNT to make sure that giffgaff settings have been assigned as default.

•  Once you have your settings installed, you don't need to activate your MMS account by sending a picture message before being able to receive one.

Message 6 of 10
by: william_knapman
on: 17/01/2014 | 01:47

don't believe so; SMS over 160 characters often becomes a MMS to give you some idea

Message 2 of 10
by: ivinsp
on: 17/01/2014 | 01:56 edited: 17/01/2014 | 01:58
MMS limits on giffgaff are 300KB for sending.

I did receive a video mms from a friend over Christmas which was over 700KB which I was surprised about!
If I've been of help please click the STAR Smiley Happy
if your query is resolved please click "Set as best answer"

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 10
by: xxultrajxx
on: 17/01/2014 | 02:29
Possible your networks causing the slowness and fail, try manual roam and choose o2 as ur network switch on ur wap not Wi-Fi then try send again if that fails do a test try sending a smaller file if it doesn't send then there must be some kind of issue with ur network settings are u able to get online without a problem?
WeeJz Back On Track Look Look Am Here lol ★☆★☆★ Smiley Wink Get a free giffgaff Sim 
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
by: rayhoo
on: 17/01/2014 | 02:40

@lelpep wrote:

How MMS works:

•  MMS pricing is not location dependent so the charges are the same wherever in the world either phone may be.

•  Wherever you may be, sending a picture message (MMS) to any UK mobile number (wherever in the world it may be) (max 300KB) costs 16p/msg.

•  Sending to a non UK registered number costs 24p/msg.

•  Receiving a picture message is totally free wherever you are.

•  Note:  Data must be enabled to use MMS but no extra data charge is made for using MMS.

•  Remember that MMS is not included in any goodybags.  Sending MMS will be charged from your airtime balance.   Dial *100# to check.

•  If you have wifi, (iphone 3 in particular)      Disable to use MMS.

•  Ensure that MMS is                   Enabled.

•  Ensure that Data is                    Enabled.

•  Ensure that Auto Retrieve is  Enabled. 

•  As data needs to be enabled for MMS to work, then make sure that your phone has been set up the way you want it, as any background applications running, email searches or Syncs will incur charges of their own (which have nothing to do with using MMS).  As data charges outside the UK can be quite high, it's worth making these checks.

•  If you're having problems connecting, then check your settings here:

•  Manually:Text 'Settings' to 2020 - and you'll receive a text message back with the data and MMS settings. 

•  You may receive a text that says: "If you'd like to use WAP or MMS on this phone you'll need to manually enter a few settings".

•  You'll find the settings for your handset in the Knowledge Base here http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Settings-for-your-device/tkb-p/phone_settings

•  For some non-smart phones, you may also need to go to:

•  MESSAGING:

•  SETTINGS:

•  MEDIA MESSAGING:

•  and MMS ACCOUNT to make sure that giffgaff settings have been assigned as default.

•  Once you have your settings installed, you don't need to activate your MMS account by sending a picture message before being able to receive one.

Message 6 of 10
by: bigdave2010
on: 17/01/2014 | 07:12
Text messages over 160 characters somtimes do send as mms messages The mms limits for sending on giffgaff is 300kb
Message 7 of 10
by: rosethorns
on: 17/01/2014 | 07:47
Picture messages (MMS) to GiffGaff and other mobiles (max 300kb)

If I helped click ''solutions and kudos'' thanks

Sent from my iPad
Message 8 of 10
by: headcases
on: 17/01/2014 | 07:53
max 300kb in size
If I helped click ''solutions and kudos'' thanks

Sent from my iphone 6s
Message 9 of 10
by: lelpep
on: 17/01/2014 | 15:56

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Looks like the photo's were larger than 300 kb.

Message 10 of 10