Community

ordering new SIM to abroad

Started by: gretelaane
On: 18/03/2019 | 07:17
Replies: 5

by: gretelaane
on: 18/03/2019 | 07:17

Hey!

I've just received an email that my Giffgaff phone number will expire on 20th of March. I am currently living abroad and have lost my SIM card, which means that I am not able to make any calls to keep my SIM active. Also I noticed that SIM card can be delivered to only UK addresses. Is there any chance that my SIM card could be delivered to Hong Kong where I am currently based since I still want to keep my UK phone number?

Best wishes, 

Grete Laane

Message 1 of 6
by: johna002
on: 18/03/2019 | 07:34

HI there @gretelaane  - a sim card can be posted outside of the UK yes.  If you have lost your sim card you need to order a replacement using the link below........

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/I-need-a-new-SIM-how-do-I-order-a-replacement...

If your SIM is damaged, just stops working or is the wrong size for your phone then the best solution for you is to perform a SIM swap which will give you a brand new functional SIM card.

SIM swaps should be performed when

• Your SIM has become faulty or ceases to work
  • You need another SIM of a different size to fit your phone
  • You have or can get an unactivated giffgaff SIM of any age to do the SIM swap
  • You don't need to report/bar your phone

The process of ordering a SIM and doing the SIM swap procedure is much faster than reporting your SIM lost and has several advantages, one being that you can usually be up and running the same day if you have a spare SIM handy.

If you don't have a spare unactivated SIM then you will need to get one, you can:

Once you have a SIM just login and go to the SIM swap page and follow the instructions or have a look at the dedicated SIM Swap guide.

giffgaff SIMs are now 'All in one SIMs' and the SIM card contains a Nano, Micro and a Standard [mini] SIM. Have a check of your SIM, you may not need to swap at all. Just pop out the section that you need.

3 in 1 SIM.jpgAn image of the new 3-1 SIMs

"PLEASE REMEMBER TO AWARD KUDOS AND A BEST ANSWER TO ANYONE WHO HAS HELPED YOU"
Get a free giffgaff Sim

CLICK ON THE BANNER ABOVE FOR YOUR FREE SIM CARD
Message 2 of 6
by: beebeer
on: 18/03/2019 | 07:46
Your SIM Card will be disconnected unless, at least once every six months, your Account is used to:

a) make at least one call, SMS or MMS to another number (not including calls to emergency services or Member Services);
b) make at least one connection to the Internet;
c) make at least one airtime credit or Bundle purchase

Also look at this
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/I-m-overseas-Can-I-get-a-SIM/ta-p/4024319
Message 3 of 6
by: gretelaane
on: 19/03/2019 | 02:21
Thank you for your reply!
I have just ordered me a new SIM to swap it, however it will not arrive by tomorrow when my phone number is supposed to expire. Is there any chance I can still keep my phone number except buying more credit online?
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: jaymailsays
on: 19/03/2019 | 04:06

Hi @gretelaane Unfortunately time is against you. Your number will deactivate and it will be lost, unless you either top up £10 or even though you cannot use a goodybag, you could buy the £5 goodybag

https://giffgaff.com/buy/goodybag

It last for a month but keeps your number live for a further 6 months. Is that something that appeals to you?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 6