ownership

Started by: ripply
On: 26/08/2012 | 19:50
Replies: 17

Go to best answer
by: alecalexandrou
on: 26/08/2012 | 19:54
Telefonica own 02 and giffgaff.
It makes sense therefore that giffgaff use the 02 signal.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 11 of 18
by: alecb
on: 26/08/2012 | 19:55
O2, Giffgaff and Tesco Mobile are all owned by Telefonika
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 18
by: jeenta20
on: 26/08/2012 | 19:55
telefonica own giffgaff
Message 13 of 18
by: badgerhud
on: 26/08/2012 | 20:00
Tesco isn't owned by Telefonica, it rents the network effectively
I Hope My Post Helps Smiley Happy - To Order a SIM With £5 FREE Credit Click Below...

Message 14 of 18
by: smaugsbane
on: 26/08/2012 | 20:02

I'll repeast, since a partially incorrect answer has been accepted and lots of people are reporting the same thing:

giffgaff is *not* owned by Telefonica.  It is owned by Telefonica UK (a different company).

Telefonica UK trades under the name O2 (or O2 UK) in the UK.

Telefonica UK is owned by Telefonica, as part of the Telefonica Europe division.

Telefonica is a Spanish company with worldwide presence, who operate the O2 brand in a number of countries.  They also operate the movistar brand in many other countries.

giffgaff and O2 are *not* siblings, and they are *not* owned by the same company.  They're in a parent/child relationship.

The only "difficult" part of this is that O2 is not a company name, but a brand name.  Think of it like Sony using Bravia for TVs, or Microsoft using XBox for games consoles, or Apple using MacBook Air for ultra-light laptops.

The other thing to note is that although giffgaff say they are run by their members, giffgaff isn't a co-operative, collective or mutual association.  It's just a company with good advertising Smiley Wink  (And an ethos)

Message 15 of 18
by: soruk
on: 26/08/2012 | 20:07

@badgerhud wrote:
Tesco isn't owned by Telefonica, it rents the network effectively

It's a 50/50 joint venture.

Free SIM with £5 free on your first top-up
Tethering and Staying Within the Rules || How to giffgaff a Linux box || Huawei Ascend G300 voicemail || Roaming without Breaking the Bank
If I was helpful please give kudos (by clicking on the blue/green star on the right) and/or by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button. Thanks!
Message 16 of 18
by: darrenpainter
on: 26/08/2012 | 20:12 edited: 26/08/2012 | 20:14
A good clarification smaugsbane which helps to explain it in more detail than the basic ones which simply aim to point out giffgaff is not an independent , . however giffgaff now falls into the Telefonica Digital division which includes a global series of socially innovative companies http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute-Innovation-Promotion/Telefonica-Digital/m-p/3486693
Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
by: smaugsbane
on: 26/08/2012 | 21:12

@darrenpainter wrote:
A good clarification smaugsbane which helps to explain it in more detail than the basic ones which simply aim to point out giffgaff is not an independent , . however giffgaff now falls into the Telefonica Digital division which includes a global series of socially innovative companies http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute-Innovation-Promotion/Telefonica-Digital/m-p/3486693

Interesting, I hadn't seen that...  I don't think that changes giffgaff's ownership, but does change which division of Telefonica it's part of.  Which is unusual, since it's owning company is part of a differrent division (although not owned by that division, but ownded by Telefonica itself - AFAICS).

Message 18 of 18